Planning Enforcement

COVID-19 Effects on Development sites

Following the Ministerial Statement made by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government on 13 May 2020 there are now temporary arrangements to modify planning conditions relating to construction working hours on development sites

Link -

An update to the Ministerial Statement made by the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government was made on 25th March 2021. This update has confirmed that the temporary arrangements for the modification of planning conditions in relation to construction sites will remain in place until September 2021. This is reflective of the need for the planning system to remain flexible to aid the economic recovery required as the country emerges from the Covid 19 pandemic.

Link -

If you wish to make an Application to modify a planning condition relating to construction working hours on a development site then please complete the attached Application form and the Risk Assessment below.

Please complete the Application form and the Risk Assessment.

Please submit your Request to

Planning Enforcement introduction

Most people are affected by planning decisions at some time. Building works or changes in the use of land and buildings are sometimes carried out without planning permission or without properly following approved plans. Development might also be carried out in breach of conditions attached to a planning permission. Such unauthorised work can harm the character of the district or the way in which people live and work.

This page contains information on how to report possible unauthorised development and the council's procedure for investigating it.

Local Enforcement Plan

The planning enforcement function is a discretionary service. The decision whether or not to take action rests with the district council. It is not always appropriate for the council to take action. The decision will always depend on the particular circumstances of each case.

The procedure for investigating alleged breaches of planning control is set out within the council's Local Enforcement Plan October 2021.

The district council cannot become involved in private legal matters, such as boundary disputes or private rights of way.

The Council has recently reviewed its existing Local Enforcement Plan with a view to better targeting the investigation resources at the most serious issues. The revised Local Enforcement Plan was the subject of a consultation exercise with comments being invited up until 19 July 2021. The representations/comments received have all now been reviewed and a document setting out a summary of the comments received can be viewed using this link Local Enforcement Plan - Summary of Comments.

The new Local Enforcement Plan which incorporates some of the suggested changes can be viewed using the link above

Reporting Unauthorised Development

If you think that a development is taking place without consent, or contrary to conditions placed on a planning permission, you can request an investigation by:

  • using our online form
  • emailing
  • writing to Planning Enforcement team, Elizabeth House, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6HX
  • telephoning the council's switchboard on 01789 267575 and asking to speak to the Planning Enforcement team

Anonymous complaints will not be investigated. Please note that if you do not leave any contact details the matters you raise regarding an alleged breach in planning control will not be investigated.

Please be advised that the matters you have raised will be investigated as an alleged breach of planning control by the Council's Planning Enforcement Team. If you wish to raise concerns over the service which you have received from the Council these concerns will need to be investigated through the Council's Corporate Complaints Procedure. To redirect your complaint please complete the online form or direct any concerns, in writing, to the Council Offices (Elizabeth House, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 6HX).

Information the Council Needs

The District Council's investigation of planning enforcement cases is often greatly assisted by the local knowledge of the person or persons who raise the matter.

When you first approach the council, you should supply as much information as possible (including, where appropriate, sketch plans, photographs, etc.) about the current and previous situation including:

  • the exact address and location of the building or site
  • when activities started, and whether they are still continuing
  • the approximate dimensions of any new building works
  • the names and addresses/phone numbers of any owners, occupiers or builders that you think may be involved
  • details of any problems caused (e.g. visual intrusion, overlooking, noise, traffic, smells) and, in the case of potential unauthorised uses, details of the type and frequency of the activity

Action the Council has Taken

A list of the formal enforcement action by the council since January 2009 can be viewed by selecting from below:

The electronic registers are updated quarterly.

Enforcement Appeals

You can view a list of current enforcement appeals .

For further information, please contact the Planning Enforcement team by emailing

Land at Wellesbourne Airfield


(“the Order")


NOTICE is hereby given that on 14 June 2017, Stratford-on-Avon District Council confirmed a Direction under Article 4(1) of the Order in respect of Land at Wellesbourne Airfield.

The Direction removes permitted development rights in respect of any building operation consisting of the demolition of a building (Schedule 2 to the Order, Part 11, Class B).

A copy of the Direction and the map defining the area to which it relates can be viewed at the council offices at Elizabeth House, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6HX during office hours.

Your Rights

You are entitled to request a copy of any information that we hold about you. We request that you make any such requests in writing. If the information we hold about you is inaccurate, you have a right to have this corrected and you have the right to request completion of incomplete data. You have the right to request that we stop, or restrict the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances. Where possible we will seek to comply with your request, but we may be required to hold or process information to perform our statutory functions. You can find further details under Privacy.

Contact: the Planning Admin team

Last updated on 18/10/2021