Our website has changed!

Please upgrade your account to take advantage of our new features.

It only takes a moment and you only have to do this once!

Upgrade Now No thanks, remind me next time

You have an unverified account!

Verify your existing account with us by clicking the link we sent
you in the confirmation email.

Don't worry if you lost the email. We can send you another one.

Resend verification email
No thanks, I can find my email

Please login

Sorry your details are incorrect.
Please try again.

forgot your password?
Not already registered?

Create new account
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Welcome! Sign in or register

Parking System Maintenance

Our parking system is currently undergoing essential maintenance to improve the service we provide. As a result, the following services are currently unavailable via that system:

  • Payments
  • Appeals

We are working to ensure full availability is restored as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience in this matter and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

For urgent enquiries, please call our office on 01789 267575.

Pre-Application Advice

How to get advice before making a formal application

All applicants from Householder to Major developments are advised to consult with WCC Ecology before submitting an application. More information about this partnership service can be found through the link below. As of 1 October, some charges apply for this service.


General planning advice can be provided over the telephone on (01789) 260303 and (01789) 260304.

Staff within the Customer Service Centre can use our electronic databases to provide factual advice such as:

  • Planning site history
  • Whether a site lies within a Conservation Area, Flood Zone, the Green Belt or the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB)
  • Whether there are trees protected by a Tree Preservation Order on a site
  • Whether identified buildings are Listed Buildings
  • Development Plan policies in the Core Strategy
  • They can provide an overview on the progress of a planning application.
  • They can also print location and/or block plans for your site to enable you to submit your planning application (charges apply).

If your query requires professional advice from a planning officer, our Customers Services Staff will transfer you to the duty planning officer, who can help you with basic planning advice.

The duty planning officer will not however be able to provide site specific advice.

If your query relates to a non-householder application, is clearly site-specific and requires a planning officer to carry out research work or liaise with other professional colleagues in order to respond, you will be asked to make a written request for detailed advice using a pre-app form.

We offer a pre-application advice service for the following;

  • Non householder applications
  • Landscape Advice
  • Listed Buildings
  • Tree Advice

Please see below for details.

Pre Application Advice for All Non Householder applications

There are many documents and websites that can help you in preparing your planning application. When making a planning application, you should consider the merits of the development proposal and the process of making an application.

The Development Plan for Stratford-on-Avon District currently comprises:

As well as the relevant Development Plan policies, you should give consideration to the relevance of current supplementary planning guidance documents (SPG), supplementary planning documents (SPD), Parish Plans, Housing Needs Surveys, Village Design Statements and the Stratford-on-Avon District Design Guide.

When making your application, you will need to submit all the necessary plans and supporting information. Our validation checklist will help you to prepare your application. Please note from 27 March 2012 various PPS's/PPG's have been revoked and you will also need to refer to the National Planning Policy Framework until the validation checklist has been amended accordingly.

You may also wish to use the fee calculator on the planning portal website.

The planning portal provides helpful advice on many planning matters, including national guidance and policy documents.

If you wish to seek advice from one of our planners before making a formal application, we would ask that you complete and return our pre-application form (link below) with as many of the requested documents as appropriate to the scale and complexity of the proposed development.

If you wish to obtain landscape advice relating to a forthcoming outline or reserved matters application or to expediate early feedback on forthcoming discharge of condition applications, please complete the Pre App Landscape Advice

Please complete the Pre-Application Planning Advice Householder - Listed Building form if you are considering carrying out work that requires Listed Building Consent.

For further information please contact us on 01789 260304 or by email at planning.applications@stratford-dc.gov.uk

Commencing on 1 November 2015, Stratford-on-Avon District Council is to require a fee for all landscape and tree advice. Charging at the pre-app stage allows the Council to effectively manage its resources and is part of a wider shift to ensure that pre-application work is cost neutral. The introduction of charging a fee for all landscape and tree advice ensures that we can continue to deliver this service in a high quality and efficient manner, with the objective of supporting development whilst also protecting the natural heritage of this District

The fees for Pre Application Advice from 1 November 2015

Community Engagement

For major developments applicants are encouraged to seek the views of the local Parish/Town Council and Ward Members at an early stage. Relevant contact details are available via this website.

Applicants of minor developments should also consider contacting the local Parish/Town Council and Ward Members before submitting an application


As a matter of course, requests for pre-application advice will not automatically be treated on a confidential basis. The Environmental Information Regulations 2004 require us to make recorded information available to members of the public, if requested. Pre-application advice may only be treated as confidential if you have specified in your submission clear demonstrable issues of commercial sensitivity or other specified reasons why this information may not be disclosed, and a public interest test may also be applied.

Advice on the lawfulness of development

Officers will not give any advice, other than basic verbal advice, on the lawfulness of a use/site/building (including whether a development has been commenced).

Some developments, including some changes of use, are deemed to be permitted development, in accordance with the General Permitted Development Order 1995 (as amended).

For a formal determination on the lawfulness of a development (either proposed or existing ), you will need to make an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness

From 6 April 2014 it is also possible to apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness of Proposed Works in respect of proposed works to a listed building, where confirmation is required that Listed Building Consent is not required. Further details and application forms are available using the link below

Listed Building Certificate of Lawfulness.