Many villages in the Stratford-on-Avon District are justifiably renowned for their beauty and much of the attraction for visitors is the wealth of historic buildings and sites. Indeed, the district boasts over 3,300 listed buildings or structures. It is a privilege to own, live or work in a listed property but with this comes responsibility. Further information can be found on the planning portal.

Nationally Listed Buildings

Buildings and structures of special architectural or historic interest are listed nationally by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. Whilst buildings are graded according to their importance the legal protection afforded is the same and applies to the whole building including the interior in every grade.

How to find out if a Building is Listed

There are two online sources of information upon which buildings are listed – these are:

Listed Building Consent

When a building is listed, protection is afforded to all of the building, exterior and interior together with anything attached to the exterior and also any outbuildings, walls or other structures within the curtilage and built before 1 July 1948. Alterations and additions carried out after the date of listing are also included. Further information is available at Historic England's advice page. Consent is therefore required from the council for any changes which would affect the character either externally or internally of the building. It is a criminal offence to undertake any such changes without first gaining permission. Routine maintenance and repairs carried out on a like for like basis will not normally require Listed Building Consent however it is worth noting the replacement of single glazed windows with double glazed always requires consent and is often unacceptable. Please consult a suitably qualified conservation architect before commencing work on any Listed Building or alternatively use the Council's pre-application advice service. There is no fee for Listed Building Consent but depending on the proposed nature of any works, Planning Permission and possibly Building Regulations may also be required, both of which do carry a charge.

Certificates of Lawfulness

If you would like to receive confirmation that proposed works do not require Listed Building consent you can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness. An Application can be made online via the national Planning Portal; or the relevant national standard 1APP forms can be downloaded. If you have already carried out the works you may not use this process. You will need to make a Listed Building Consent application.

Apply for Listed Building Consent

If you wish to apply for Listed Building Consent the form can be found on the planning portal.

Last updated on 22/05/2018

Contact the Planning Admin team