Parish Housing Needs Surveys
The Rural Housing Enabler for Warwickshire Rural Community Council (WRCC) supports rural communities in Stratford District to carry out local surveys of housing need. The purpose of these surveys has been, firstly, to determine the nature and level of local need for housing, both affordable and market and, secondly, to explore community opinion towards new community-led housing development. This information will assist in the decision-making process, especially when promoting and developing community-led schemes.
A survey can be stand-alone or undertaken to inform a Parish Plan or Neighbourhood Development Plan. The Index of Plans and Surveys (link below) below provides information with regards to the current progress of housing needs surveys and community plans. A companion document highlights the status of parishes within the district. A further link provides an alphabetical listing of housing needs surveys that have been adopted by parish/town councils.
Please contact Sarah Brooke-Taylor, Rural Housing Enabler at WRCC, for further information on how to do a local housing needs surveys and how to build "local needs" homes for local people. Telephone 01789 842182 or 01789 472611, or email email@example.com. More information is also available on the WRCC website.
Find out more
Private Sector Rents in Stratford-on-Avon District
Why are we interested in private rented accommodation?
Private rented accommodation (rented direct from a private landlord or from a letting agency) provides an important housing function in the district.
The affordability, availability and suitability of privately rented properties vary across the District. Households who cannot access or afford suitable private rented and open market properties usually require affordable housing.
The District Council and its partners use information about the local private rented market to make informed decisions about housing and give appropriate housing advice.
January 2018 research into private rents
- A snapshot survey of 332 advertised private rented properties identified the cost, size and availability of private rented properties in different parts of the district.
- The survey looked at how many properties were affordable to households in receipt of housing benefit or Universal Credit.Households living in the private rented sector are not necessarily adequately housed.
1. Private rented accommodation in Stratford-on-Avon District is expensive.
- The district median private sector rent in January 2018 for a 2-bed property is £750 per calendar month (£9,000 per annum).
- The district lower quartile private sector rent in January 2018 for a 2-bed property is £718 per calendar month (£8,616 per annum).
- 6% of properties are affordable to people in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (compared to 11% in 2013)
2. Median rents for most property types have increased since 2013.
- The district median rent for a 1-bed property is £625 per calendar month (£7,500 per annum). This is compared to £585 per calendar month in 2013.
3. Shared rooms and one-bed properties are particularly expensive, and demand is increasing due to welfare changes.
- 5% of shared rooms and 1-bed properties in the district are affordable to people in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.
4. Rents are higher in Stratford town than in most of the District
- The median rent for a 2-bed property in Stratford town in January 2018 is £775 per calendar month (£9,300 per annum).
- 5% of properties are affordable to people in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.
5. The West of the District is the least affordable area of the District for households in receipt of housing benefit or Universal Credit.
- The median rent for a 2-bed property in Alcester and Studley is £695 per calendar month. The rent considered affordable to people in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is £511 per calendar month.
To see the full research findings and to download a copy of the report click on the link below:
For further information: contact Lisa Davies on 01789 260865 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Renata Mosz on 01789 260842 or email@example.com, or the Housing Policy & Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more
Single people in housing difficulties survey
Stratford District Housing Forum carried out a multi-agency survey in March 2014 to find out more about the housing and support needs of single people in Stratford-on-Avon District.
In all, 104 single people of all ages experienced housing difficulties during the month.
- People could not afford accommodation because it was too costly and because they couldn't manage financially.
- Half of the people thought they were homeless and twelve people slept rough. Two of the people sleeping rough were 17 years old.
- Support is required to find suitable accommodation and keep it, to help with budgeting & benefits, to find and access training and employment.
- Mental ill health is a new issue.
Download an executive summary and the full results below:
For further information: contact Renata Mosz on 01789 260842 or email@example.com, or email the Housing Policy & Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more