Also in this section
- Stratford Conservation Areas Review introduction (85KB PDF)
- Stratford Conservation Areas Review chapter 3 - Alcester Road (1454KB PDF)
- Stratford Conservation Areas Review chapter 4 - Avenue Road (3209KB PDF)
- Stratford Conservation Areas Review chapter 5 - Banbury Road (1010KB PDF)
- Stratford Conservation Areas Review chapter 6 - Clopton Road (3532KB PDF)
- Stratford Conservation Areas Review chapter 7 - Evesham Road (2632KB PDF)
- Stratford Conservation Areas Review chapter 8 - Loxley Road (1222KB PDF)
- Stratford Conservation Areas Review chapter 9 - Shipston Road (1358KB PDF)
- Residential Character Study - Tiddington Road (3560KB PDF)
- SoA Design in Residential Areas SPG - July 2005 (2031KB PDF)
- Help with PDFs
Residential Design Guidance and Review of Conservation Areas in Stratford-upon-Avon
The District Council has undertaken a study of several residential areas in Stratford-upon-Avon to identify the significant features and characteristics of the built environment, with a view to preparing design guidance for new development and to make recommendations on the extension of the designated conservation areas. The study is in response to recent pressures on residential areas of the town from redevelopment, particularly on what are referred to as 'backland' plots.
Following a period of public consultation the District Council has adopted a revised version of the Residential Character Study Report, prepared by consultants from the University of Central England (UCE), at the Council meeting on 25 July 2005. The extensions to the conservation areas include:
The community response provided a significant level of support for the extensions to the existing Stratford and Shottery conservation areas as well as for the design guidance.
The District Council has advertised the conservation area designations. They formally came into effect on 25 July 2005.
The UCE Residential Character Study report is very large so it has been broken down into separate chapters, which are detailed below and can be downloaded from the links on the right.
- Introduction - Examination of Residential Character
- Policy considerations and suggestions
- Alcester Road - character study
- Avenue Road - character study
- Banbury Road - character study
- Clopton Road - character study
- Evesham Road (inc Shottery) - character study
- Loxley Road - character study
- Shipston Road - character study
- Tiddington Road - character study
The Council has adopted Stratford-upon-Avon - Design in Residential Areas as Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) which sets out the general design principles and area specific design guidance identified in the Character Study.
For further information please contact the Heritage and Design team on 01789 260304 or by email at email@example.com or by fax on 01789 260330.