If you wish to demolish a building or structure, you must notify the council six weeks before you intend work to start by completing a Notice of Demolition. Once this has been received, the council is then responsible for identifying action required and providing a formal response under Sections 81 and 82 of the Building Act 1984. The target response time is five working days.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to apply for permission to demolish a building?

If you intend to demolish all or part of a building that exceeds 50 m³ (1750 ft³), you need to inform the council's Building Control service by completing a notice of demolition .

How much notice do I have to give?

The legal requirement is to give six weeks' notice prior to the demolition work starting. This allows time to undertake all necessary consultations. In some cases this may not be possible, in which case and you should tell us at the earliest opportunity.

What sort of precautions will I be expected to make?

We will give you, or your demolition contractor, a statutory notice detailing the necessary safety precautions. These include:

  • shoring adjacent buildings, if necessary
  • weather proofing any surface to the adjoining buildings, which have been exposed by the demolition
  • removing rubbish / debris from the site and controlling the burning of material
  • disconnecting and sealing electricity, gas and water supplies and drainage in and around buildings
  • any other reasonable measures that are necessary to protect the public

Is there anyone else I should inform of the proposed demolition?

The law requires you to inform the occupier of any adjoining building(s) and the gas / electricity boards.

What happens if I don't notify the council?

If you fail to inform the council of your intention to demolish, you could be prosecuted and fined.

Are there any other laws that apply to demolition?

You may have to obtain planning permission to demolish:

  • a building included on a list of buildings of special architectural or historical interest
  • a building within a conservation area
  • a house or building containing a flat, a residential home or a hotel

In addition, you would need to comply with any requirements under Health and Safety legislation, including CDM Regulations.

Who should I contact regarding asbestos removal?

If you encounter or are aware of asbestos on your site, you should contact the Health and Safety Executive for further guidance.

How can I get further information?

For further information, please contact the Building Control team:

Contact: The Building Control team

Last updated on 24/10/2018