What if work has already been carried out?

Stop Sign

There are occasions when, for various reasons, building work has been carried out without the benefit of a Building Regulation application. When this happens we may be able to issue a Regularisation Certificate to legitimise the unauthorised work.

What is a Regularisation Application?

The Regularisation process is only available to unauthorised work that started on or after 11th November 1985 and the Council have discretion as to whether to agree to process a Regularisation application. The Regularisation process does not detract from our formal enforcement powers.

If you need to submit a Regularisation Application, you should contact us before you make the application so that we can discuss what steps you may need to take if we are to Regularise the works.

If we are to issue a Regularisation Certificate we must be satisfied that the building works concerned are to an acceptable standard and conform to the requirements of the Building Regulations applicable at the time the works were undertaken.

To obtain a Regularisation Certificate the owner must apply to us in writing using the Building Regulation Application form accompanied by the correct payment.

The application must describe the extent of the unauthorised work and where possible include plans showing the technical detail of the work. You should also detail any additional work you intend to carry out to secure compliance with the requirements of the Building Regulations that were in force at the time the work was carried out.

The Procedure

On receipt of the application we will assess the paperwork that you sent us. At this point an inspection will need to be arranged for us to inspect the work if we have not already done so.

As part of the Regularisation process our surveyors are required to carry out a full assessment of the project to ensure that the works comply with the regulations, as such it is important that you understand that they may:

  • Ask for parts of the work to be opened up for inspection and rectified if necessary
  • Require additional paperwork such as test and commissioning certificates for services or installations that come within Building Regulation control

It is the owner/builders responsibility to demonstrate that the works comply with the Building Regulations. It should also be noted that the Regularisation charge is not refundable if the work does not meet the required standards or the applicant changes their mind.

The next step

Once our surveyors have made the site visit a letter will be sent out to you or your agent detailing what upgrading or further exposure will be required to ensure the works comply with the regulations.

In most cases a follow up visit will be required once remedial works have been carried out on site.

Once we are happy that the requirements of the Building Regulations have been met a Regularisation Certificate will be issued.

It should be noted that a Regularisation Certificate is evidence (but not conclusive evidence) that the requirements of the Building Regulations specified in the certificate have been complied with.

For further information please contact the Building Control team on 01789 260626, or by emailing buildingcontrol@stratford-dc.gov.uk

Last updated on 31/05/2018

Contact the Building Control team