Driver licences issued by Stratford-on-Avon District Council are dual licences that allow the driver to work in hackney carriages and private hire vehicles which are licensed by this council. The duration of the licence is three years.
Want to become a licensed driver?
Before applying, it is important that you read the policy booklet, paying particular attention to the Licensing Criteria in Section 7 to ensure that you meet the criteria. If you comply and wish to apply, the following steps must be taken:
- Knowledge Test - Call to arrange a Knowledge Test with this office (run once a month). A fee of £35.20 is due at the point of booking. Payment will only be forwarded to a different date if at least seven days' notice of a cancellation is given.
- Practical Driving Assessment - Book a driving test with our approved driving test assessors, Diamond.
- Medical Assessment - Arrange a medical with your GP.
- Disclosure of Criminal Records (DBS Checking) - A criminal background check is required with every new application. The processing of the DBS service is now handled by an external agency trading under the name of Personnel Checks. Telephone 01254 355667 and Personnel Checks will then lead you through the application process. Payments made by debit or credit card will attract a small processing fee. Payments by bank transfer are free. When we are in a position to grant the licence, only a DBS check that is within three months of issue will be accepted.
- DVLA Mandate - You must use the following link and complete the online form to allow us to view your driving licence record. There is no extra fee for this, but you must supply us with the secure code you are given within 21 days of it being issued to you.
- Online Application - Complete the online application for a dual driver licence with the required fee of £305.80 for a three-year dual badge. (The link can be found at the bottom of this page.)
- Certificate of Good Conduct (if applicable) - CRB records relate to any convictions recorded in the UK since the applicant's 17th birthday. If you have become resident in the UK after this age, in the absence of sufficient traceable records, you will be required to obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct from your embassy and certified translation.
- Passport photograph – supply at least one recent passport-style photograph.
Please be aware that if we have concerns about your conversational English and/or basic reading and writing skills, it is likely that we will ask you to undertake a formal assessment. If you think this may affect you, please contact the Licensing team for more information.
If you would like us to send you a driver's pack with the relevant forms and information enclosed as above, there will be a £9 charge.
Already licensed and need to renew?
Existing drivers needing to renew their licence need to submit the following documents at least one month before the expiry of their licence:
- Contact Personnel Checks on 01254 355677 in order to process your DBS application. Personnel Checks will then lead you through the DBS application process. The cost of the DBS check will be £68.99 per application. Payments made by debit or credit card will attract a small processing fee. Payments by bank transfer are free.
- Complete a medical assessment form with your doctor if you are over 45. If you are over 65, you need to have a medical around the anniversary of your licence every year. You do not get reminded of this and it is a breach of your conditions if you do not supply us with an annual medical.
- Complete the online Application. The link to which can be found at the bottom of this page. The fee is £259.60 for a three-year dual badge.
- You must use the following link and complete the online form to allow us to view your driving licence record. There is no extra fee for this, but you must supply us with the secure code you are given within 21 days of it being issued to you.
- If you have not yet supplied us with your DSA pass certificate, Disability Awareness Training certificate and/or Child Sexual Exploitation Training certificate, please ensure you supply these as well.
In accordance with our policy, all new and existing drivers must undertake disability awareness training.
The disability awareness course covers:
- ambulant disabilities
- non-ambulant disabilities
- hearing impairment
- visual impairment
- learning difficulties
- securing a wheelchair correctly
All licensed drivers must undertake this training and should book directly with Guide Dogs for the Blind Association - 0845 3727417.
Prevention of Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE)
All currently licensed and new drivers are strongly encouraged to attend a Prevention of Child Sexual Exploitation course at their earliest opportunity.
The prevention of CSE course covers:
- safeguarding children and vulnerable persons
- human trafficking legislation
- making referrals if you identify concerns
- signposting to relevant agencies
Courses are held at Nuneaton or Leamington Spa and can be booked through Warwick District Council on 01926 456705.
More Information and Contact
Download a copy of the current licence conditions.
For more information, contact the Licensing team:
Our online form to apply or renew a licence is available now. You can use the online form using the button below.
Dual Taxi Driver Licence Online Application