Advice on Food Businesses and Licensed Premises.


Published on 24 March 2020
Archived on 24 April 2020

New regulations mean that currently businesses are not permitted to sell food and drink for consumption on the premises, or in any outside seating areas.

This applies to bars, pubs, restaurants, nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms, museums, spas, massage parlours, bingo, concert halls, casinos, betting shops, indoor skating rinks and swimming pools and leisure centres.

The sale of food and drink for consumption off the premises is still permitted.

Retail, takeaway and delivery food businesses are permitted to open and trade.

People can continue to enter premises to access takeaway services, including delivery drivers.

Serving drinks or food to customers waiting for their orders is not permitted.

People must not consume food or drinks on site or any outside seating areas at restaurants, cafes or pubs whilst waiting for takeaway food.

Retail and public premises which remain open must:

  • Ensure a distance of two meters between customers and shop assistants; and
  • Let people enter the shop only in small groups, to ensure that spaces are not crowded.
  • Queue control is required outside of shops and other essential premises that remain open.

 Environmental Health and Licensing are actively checking businesses to ensure that they are following the law. We are closing food businesses and licensed premises that are not permitted to be open currently.

For those businesses that are permitted to open Environmental Health is advising them on extra practical measures they can take to slow the spread of COVID-19:

  • Remove any outdoor seating 
  • Stack chairs on tables to deter consumers congregating outside your premises
  • Provide signage reminding people that seating areas are closed
  • Use spacing measures e.g. floor markers
  • Remember, proper handwashing of staff is of upmost importance
  • Touch points such as door handles, hand rails etc. must be frequently disinfected
  • There is a wide range of products available for cleaning and disinfection.  Make sure you read the manufacturer's instructions carefully
  • Disinfections should comply with BS EN 1276 standards


If you are aware of a food business that is offering food or drink for consumption at the premises you may report it to and it will be investigated.

Contact details

Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Elizabeth House, Church Street,
Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire,
CV37 6HX
Tel: 01789 267575

Back to archived news listing

Contact: the Communications team

Last updated on 24/03/2020