Central Government

The main link between local authorities and central government in England is the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. It is responsible for national policy on how local government is set up, what it does, how well it works, and how it is funded.

Central Government Organisations

Some other central government organisations:

  • Attorney General's Office
  • Cabinet Office
  • Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
  • Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
  • Department for Education
  • Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
  • Department for Exiting the European Union
  • Department for International Development
  • Department for International Trade
  • Department of Health & Social Care
  • Department for Transport
  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • Foreign and Commonwealth Office
  • HM Treasury
  • Home Office
  • Ministry of Defence
  • Ministry of Justice

You can find out more about each at the gov.uk list of departments, agencies and public bodies.


The public elects MPs to represent their interests and concerns in the House of Commons. MPs are involved in considering and proposing new laws, and can use their position to ask government ministers questions about current issues.

Contact: The Democratic Services team

Last updated on 10/11/2022