FAQ's & Useful Contacts

Trees - Frequently Asked Questions, Useful Information and Contacts

The Planning Authority receives many enquiries about trees, most of which are the responsibility of others. Please examine the questions below in order to direct your query to the most appropriate service/organisation. Further useful contacts are also provided.

Is the tree in a verge adjacent to a public road?

Warwickshire County Council is responsible for maintaining all trees on the public highways (roads, pavements, verges).

Tel. 01926 412515 Email: countyhighways@warwickshire.gov.uk

Is the tree on a property owned by a Housing Association?

A Housing Association, as the owners of the tree, may be responsible for maintenance. Please contact them directly with your request or concerns about trees on housing association land. You or the housing association would only require consent to work on a tree from the Council if the tree is the subject of a Tree Preservation Order or if it is located within a Conservation Area.

Housing Associations

Orbit Group Tel. 03458 500 500

Stonewater Housing Association Tel. 01202 319 119

Bromford Housing Group Tel. 0330 1234 034

Sanctuary Group Tel. 0800 131 3348

Warwickshire Rural Housing Association Tel. 0300 1234 009

Fortis Living Tel. 0330 123 0700

Waterloo Housing Group Tel. 0800 435 016

Is the tree in an open space owned by Stratford on Avon District Council?

Street Scene is responsible for the maintenance of parks and open spaces within the District

Tel. 01789 260616 Email: streetscene@stratford-dc.gov.uk

Is the tree causing an obstruction to a pavement or highway?

If the tree is obstructing a pavement or highway, please contact Warwickshire County Council Roads and Travel on Tel. 01926 412515 Email: countyhighways@warwickshire.gov.uk or complete an on-line form to report a dangerous tree.

Is the tree obstructing a rural footpath/public right of way?

If the tree is obstructing a rural footpath/public right of way, please contact Warwickshire County Council Rights of Way on Tel. 01926 412824 Email: paths@warwickshire.gov.uk

If you do not know who owns the tree

In some instances it is very difficult to track down the owner of the tree on private land. The Land Registry (Gloucester Office) holds information on ownership of property in the District. Tel. 01452 511111 or complete and online contact form.

If the land is not registered then please seek legal advice.

In the case of developments such as courtyards or conversions, there may be a management company responsible for the maintenance of communal land.

Who controls the felling/management of privately owned trees growing on land other than garden land?

The Forestry Commission would be the main organisation controlling the felling and management of trees on land other than garden land. If you are felling more than 5 cubic metres of timber in a quarter calendar year (these trees may be within hedgerows, fields, woods but not gardens), then you may require Forestry Commission Felling Licence.

If the land is within a Site of Special Scientific Interest, you will need to seek consent from Natural England for written consent before undertaking any work.

My neighbour's tree is affecting my property. What are my rights?

Where the tree is not in a Conservation Area and is not covered by a TPO, you are allowed to under Common Law to cut back the branches to your legal boundary. If you prune beyond your boundary without the permission of the owner of the tree, you will be trespassing and causing criminal damage. You should notify your neighbour of your intentions and ask if they wish to have the pruning returned to them. If they do not want it, it will be your responsibility to dispose of it yourself. A solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau can advise further. If you believe the tree to be causing damage to your property, contact your solicitor or your insurance company for advice.

Can the Council recommend a good tree surgeon?

The Council cannot recommend any one tree surgeon. However, the Arboricultural Association a "trade organisation", publishes a list of members who work in the District and are approved, certified and fully insured. Other tree surgeon can be found in the local Yellow Pages.

Useful Contacts:

Stratford-on-Avon District Council Useful Links & Contacts



Tel. 01789 260304

Last updated on 26/04/2017

Contact the Planning Admin team