FAQs & Useful Contacts

The Planning Authority receives many enquiries about trees, most of which are the responsibility of other services or organisations. Please examine the questions below in order to direct your query to the most appropriate service or organisation. Further useful contacts are also provided.

Trees on verges next to public roads

Warwickshire County Council is responsible for maintaining all trees on the public highways (roads, pavements, verges).

Trees on Housing Association properties

A Housing Association, as the owners of the tree, may be responsible for maintenance. Please contact the association directly with your request or concerns about trees on Housing Association land. You or the Housing Association would only require consent to work on a tree from the council if the tree is the subject of a Tree Preservation Order or if it is located within a conservation area.

Housing Associations:

  • Orbit Group: 03458 500 500
  • Stonewater Housing Association: 01202 319 119
  • Bromford Housing Group: 0330 1234 034
  • Sanctuary Group: 0800 131 3348
  • Warwickshire Rural Housing Association: 0300 1234 009
  • Fortis Living: 0330 123 0700
  • Waterloo Housing Group: 0800 435 016

Trees in open spaces owned by Stratford-on-Avon District Council

The Streetscene team is responsible for the maintenance of parks and open spaces within the district.

Trees causing an obstruction to a pavement or highway

If the tree is obstructing a pavement or highway, please contact Warwickshire County Council.

Trees obstructing a rural footpath or public right of way

If the tree is obstructing a rural footpath or public right of way, please contact Warwickshire County Council.

If you don't know who owns the tree

In some instances it is very difficult to track down the owner of the tree on private land. The Land Registry (Gloucester Office) holds information on ownership of property in the district. Telephone: 01452 511111 or make contact via the Land Registry website.

If the land is not registered then please seek legal advice.

In the case of developments such as courtyards or conversions, there may be a management company responsible for the maintenance of communal land.

The felling or management of privately owned trees on land other than garden land

The Forestry Commission is the main organisation controlling the felling and management of trees on land other than garden land. If you are felling more than five cubic metres of timber in a quarter calendar year (these trees may be within hedgerows, fields or woods but not gardens), then you may require a Forestry Commission Felling Licence.

If the land is within a Site of Special Scientific Interest, you will need to approach Natural England for written consent before undertaking any work.

Your rights if a neighbour's tree is affecting your property

Where the tree is not in a Conservation Area and is not covered by a TPO, you are allowed under common law to cut back the branches to your legal boundary. If you prune beyond your boundary without the permission of the owner of the tree, you will be trespassing and causing criminal damage. You should notify your neighbour of your intentions and ask if they wish to have the pruning returned to them. If they do not want it, it will be your responsibility to dispose of it yourself. A solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau can advise further. If you believe the tree to be causing damage to your property, contact your solicitor or your insurance company for advice.

Finding a tree surgeon

The council cannot recommend any one tree surgeon. However, the Arboricultural Association, a trade organisation, publishes a list of members who work in the district and are approved, certified and fully insured.

Useful external contacts

Useful links and contacts at Stratford-on-Avon District Council

Useful pages on our website:

Useful contacts:

Contact: The Planning Admin team

Last updated on 23/10/2023