Council Tax Bandings

In England all domestic properties are provided with a Council Tax 'valuation band' by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

These bands are based on the price the property would have sold for on the open market on 1 April 1991, not their current sale price.
The valuation band determines how much Council Tax you pay at the property.

All properties are banded on the same basis, including properties bought under discount schemes, e.g. Right to Buy. The purchase price discounts applied to these properties are not taken into account when setting the band.

Council Tax Bands in England (based on 1 April 1991 values)

Band Value at 1 April 1991

  • A up to £40,000
  • B £40,001 to £52,000
  • C £52,001 to £68,000
  • D £68,001 to £88,000
  • E £88,001 to £120,000
  • F £120,001 to £160,000
  • G £160,001 to £320,000
  • H more than £320,000

Your Council Tax bill shows which band applies to your home.

Querying your Council Tax Band

Please contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and ask to have it reviewed. The contact details are as follows:

  • Telephone: 03000 501501
  • Address: The Listing Officer, Valuation Office Agency Durham Customer Service Centre, Wycliffe House, Green Lane, Durham, DH1 3UW

Please bear in mind that if your home is already in Band A, the lowest band, the VOA cannot reduce the band further.

If, having raised your query with the VOA, you still believe your banding is incorrect, you can make a formal challenge (known as a proposal to alter the list) but only under limited circumstances.

Generally you can only make a proposal within six months of:

  • Becoming a new Council Tax payer for a property
  • The VOA notifying you that your banding has changed

You can also appeal at any time if:

  • Your property has been demolished
  • Physical changes in the local area or to the property itself have had an adverse effect on the 1 April 1991 market value
  • Your property has been adapted to make the property suitable for someone with a disability.

For a full list of circumstances when a valid proposal is permitted please contact the Valuation Office Agency using the details above.

You should note that making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of the tax. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpayment

Helpful Links

Check your Council Tax Band

Charges for Council Tax Bands

Pay your Council Tax Online

For further information, please contact Revenues:

Contact: The Revenues & Benefits team

Last updated on 18/04/2023