Liability and Calculation of Council Tax Appeals

You may appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay Council Tax, for example because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt, or that Stratford-on-Avon District Council has made a mistake in calculating your bill.

After receiving advice, if you then wish to make a formal appeal on these grounds, you must first tell Stratford-on-Avon District Council in writing so that we can reconsider your case.

Please mark your letter 'Liability Dispute'. If you are not satisfied with our reply, or if we do not reply within two months, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal . You can get details of the appeals procedures (including the role of Valuation Tribunal) by calling the council's helpline on 01789 260990.

This tribunal cannot consider appeals against the Council Tax band. These can only be dealt with by the Valuation Office Agency .

You should note that making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of the tax. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpayment

For further information, please contact Revenues:

Contact: The Revenues & Benefits team

Last updated on 22/06/2018