There is a range of activities for children and young people across the district, including:
- sports and activity sessions held at the Stratford-on-Avon District Council (SDC) leisure centres
- free outdoor gym equipment located in Stratford-upon-Avon (Recreation Ground and Orrian Close), Shipston and Bidford
- sports and physical activity clubs - find local clubs on our online directory
- junior parkrun - free 2km running event every Sunday morning at Stratford Recreation Ground
- Change 4 Life - have various ideas for activities for children and young people
- play areas - Stratford-on-Avon District Council operated play areas. During summer months, the paddling pool at Stratford Recreation Ground is open
- find out more about our green spaces
- Change Makers - Fitter Future's healthy lifestyle sessions for children and young people.
- Active Antz is a children's play session with a variety of different activities at Stratford Leisure Centre
- TAG Active - coming soon to Stratford Leisure Centre
Physical Activity Guidelines for Children and Young People
The NHS recommends that children and young people (aged 5-18) complete:
60 minutes of physical activity everyday, this should be a range of moderate (e.g. playground games) and vigorous intensity activities (e.g. running or playing tennis). Activities that strengthen bone and muscle should be completed three days per week (e.g. gymnastics, swinging on playground equipment or hopping).
It is also recommended that children and young people minimise the time spent sitting. Visit the NHS website for further information about the physical activity guidelines for children and young people, including recommendations for children under 5.
The 'Change 4 Life' website is full of ideas on how to help your children be more active.