Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults and Children

As a member of the Warwickshire Safeguarding Adults Board, Stratford-on-Avon District Council is committed to protecting both children and adults from abuse and neglect.

Reporting abuse

If you think that a vulnerable adult or child is being abused, contact Warwickshire County Council's Safeguarding Service on 01926 414144. The county council adult social care teams can offer advice and support to the person and / or their carers and, where necessary, arrange appropriate services.

Depending on the type of abuse, you may wish to contact Warwickshire Police.

Who are vulnerable adults?

Many adults, because of illness or disability, may be unable to protect themselves from abuse. Vulnerable adults may be certain older people, people with learning disabilities, physically disabled people, people with mental ill-health, or those with a short or long-term illness.

What is abuse?

Abuse can be defined in many ways. However, the terms most commonly used are:

  • physical
  • emotional
  • neglect
  • sexual
  • institutional
  • verbal

Who abuses and where does it happen?

Abuse happens in situations where one person in a relationship has more power than the other. In adult abuse cases this could be a vulnerable adult's paid or unpaid carer, a worker, relative - in fact almost anyone.

What is Stratford-on-Avon District Council doing?

The council has a Safeguarding Policy to aid staff in identifying signs of abuse and neglect and confidently raise these with appropriate agencies.

If you are a member of staff or elected member of Stratford on Avon District Council this document provides guidance on handling a safeguarding incident.

The Council offices in Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon are also a designated 'Safe Place', currently accessible as a refuge for anyone with a learning disability who feels at risk or unsafe.

Contact: The Social Inclusion team

Last updated on 02/06/2023