Selling/Letting and Renovating

It may be your preferred option to sell or let your empty property, which will subsequently bring the property back in to use and generate an additional income.


If you decide to sell or let your property, you should seek the advice and guidance of an estate agent. They will provide you with information and advice on how to market your property effectively to achieve the best possible price. It is recommended that you contact a number of agents to compare the level of service they can offer.


If you decide to renovate your empty property, you may be entitled to a reduction on the VAT and a discount on your Council Tax.

The reduction rate and discount depends on the length of time your property has remained empty. Find more information at

If you are planning to undertake major works to your property, you may need to check if you require planning permission. It is recommended that you contact Planning and Building Control to discuss your proposed works.

If you would like to find out more information, please contact 01789 260848 or

Last updated on 14/11/2018

Contact the Private Sector Housing team