Anti-Social Behaviour

safter south warwickshire

Tackling anti-social behaviour is a priority for the Safer South Warwickshire Community Safety Partnership. Any resident concerned about anti-social behaviour is entitled to know what level of service they can expect.

What is anti-social behaviour?

The Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 defines anti-social behaviour as:

“Behaviour likely to cause alarm, harassment or distress to any person."

This covers a wide range of unacceptable behaviour that can have a negative effect on an individual or the wider community.

Who do I contact if I am affected?

  • If the problem is an immediate emergency then call 999
  • In a non-emergency situation you can contact Warwickshire Police on 101
  • Your social housing landlord
  • Stratford-on-Avon District Council

This council is responsible for co-ordinating action to tackle anti-social behaviour. Two Anti-Social Behaviour Officers are employed In Stratford-on-Avon District.

You can report your problem by telephone to Stratford-on-Avon District Council's Anti-Social Behaviour Officers:

In some cases you may wish to make contact directly with the organisation that has the powers to address your problem.

  • Housing In Stratford-on-Avon District, social housing is the responsibility of a number of Housing Associations – please seek advice from the Anti-Social Behaviour Officer.
  • Noise etc. For Stratford-on-Avon District, please contact the Environmental Protection team on 01789 260835 or by emailing

What action can be taken?

In South Warwickshire, we believe in the effectiveness of early intervention and operate a tiered response tailored to the particular circumstances of the anti-social behaviour. We employ a wide range of interventions that have proved effective in addressing anti-social behaviour, the most common of which are:

  • Advisory and warning letters that are sent to perpetrators or their guardians outlining the unacceptable behaviour and warning that further action will follow should the behaviour continue.
  • Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs): voluntary but formal documents signed by the perpetrator committing to stop behaving in an unacceptable way.
  • Community protection notices, to stop the conduct of an individual or body having a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality.
  • Civil injunctions, to stop a person responsible from engaging in anti-social behaviour to any person.
  • Criminal Behaviour Order: the offender has caused anti-social behaviour and been convicted of a criminal offence.

What minimum standard of service can I expect?

The council is dedicated to a multi-agency approach to reducing the number of incidents of anti-social behaviour and the fear of anti-social behaviour.

We will ensure that:

  • Reports of anti-social behaviour are treated seriously, and all individuals are treated fairly with dignity and respect.
  • Victims of anti-social behaviour are given as much support as possible, and where appropriate referred to support agencies.
  • Where appropriate, offenders are offered support to help change their behaviour.
  • Anti-social behaviour reports are recorded and investigated, where appropriate, and victims and witnesses are kept informed of key actions.
  • We deal promptly and effectively with any problem reported to us or we pass it to an organisation that we consider may be more effective in resolving the issue.
  • All relevant agencies co-operate in addressing any issues of anti-social behaviour; sharing information where necessary and appropriate while adopting a multi-agency problem-solving approach.
  • We adopt an early intervention approach, and we work together with all other agencies, making full use of the tools and powers available to us.

Who can I talk to if I am unhappy about the response to my problem?

In the first instance any problems should be reported to Community Safety Manager Sam Slemensek via e-mail at

Please also see our Community Trigger page to find out how else we can give victims and communities the right to require action where an ongoing problem or issue has not been addressed.

Contact: The Community Safety team

Last updated on 06/06/2023