What is the Register of Electors?

The Register of Electors is a list of everyone in the district who has successfully applied (and is eligible) to vote. You are only entitled to vote if your name appears on this register. If you have moved during the year you should go to gov.uk/register-to-vote or contact the council you have moved to.

The revised register is published every year on 1 December.

How do I register to vote?

Everyone is responsible for registering themselves.

You can now register online at gov.uk/register-to-vote - it's easy and only takes a few minutes. You will need to input your date of birth and National Insurance number (which can be found on your National Insurance card, or on official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits). This requirement makes the electoral register more secure. Your on-line application is then processed, which can take a day or so. We will let you know if its successful. If we require some further proof of identity, we will let you know.

Why should I register?

If you do not register, you will not be able to vote at any election or referendum. The Register of Electors is also used by credit reference agencies to verify residency of persons applying for credit. Therefore, it could be more difficult to get credit if you are not on the register.

It is an offence not to complete and return the annual household enquiry form, or if you provide inaccurate or false information. The fine may be up to £1,000.

Who can register?

To be eligible for inclusion on the register, you must be:

  • over 18, or reach the age of 18 during the period in which the register is in operation (from 1 December each year to 30 November in the following year).
  • a British or Commonwealth Citizen, a citizen of the Irish Republic or a citizen of the European Union.

You may be asked to produce evidence to support any information you give.

Citizens of European Union countries resident in the district are entitled to register and vote at local elections (district, county and parish) and also European Parliamentary elections and referendums. Separate arrangements are made to register members of HM Armed Forces, Crown Servants living abroad, Overseas Electors (British Citizens living abroad), people with no fixed address in the area (who can register by means of a "declaration of local connection"), patients in mental hospitals, and prisoners on remand.

What normally happens?

1. Look out for a form delivered to your household between mid-July and early August. You must respond to it and return it to:-

Electoral Services, Stratford-on-Avon District Council, Elizabeth House, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 6HX

2. If the details on the form are correct, let us know. Similarly, if the details are not up to date, please inform us. Details of how to respond are on the form. Any new people added to the property will need to register individually. We will contact them and explain how to do this.

Do I have to let you know if I move?

Yes, please. You should also let the council you move to know, or you may not be able to vote in their elections. Go to gov.uk/register-to-vote or contact the council you have moved to.

Who has access to my personal details on the register?

There are two registers. Why?

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The full electoral register

This lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in the area in public elections. The full register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:

  • detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
  • calling people for jury service
  • checking credit applications

The open register

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but it is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it may be used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register may reduce the amount of junk mail you receive but does not affect your right to vote.

You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used at gov.uk/register-to-vote.

How can find out if I'm already registered to vote?

The full electoral register is available for inspection at the Council Offices at:

Elizabeth House
Church Street
CV37 6HX

Alternatively, you can call us on 01789 260208.

What if I want to look at the Register of Electors?

If you want to inspect the Register of Electors, the following rules apply:

  • The Register is open to public inspection, under supervision.
  • Extracts from the Register may be recorded only by making hand-written notes. Photocopying or electronic recording are not permitted by law.
  • Information taken from the Register must not be used for direct marketing purposes unless the information has been published in the edited version of the register.

Under these regulations, anyone who fails to observe these conditions is committing a criminal offence. The penalty is a fine of up £5,000.

Further Information

For further information, please contact Election Services:

To find out more about electoral registration, visit Your Vote Matters.

Last updated on 12/11/2019

Contact the Democratic Services team