Completing an Application

  1. Practical guide to licensing of HMO's
  2. Form 1 - The property
  3. Form 2 - The Licence holder
  4. Form 3 - The Licence Manager
  5. Form 4 - Notify others
  6. Form 5 - Fire self certification
  7. Form 6 - Re-licence
  8. Form 7 - variation form
  9. Form 8 - Glossary
  10. Providing a plan of your HMO
  11. HMO fees

If you are the owner and/or the proposed licence holder please complete and return Forms 1, 2. Form 4 is to be completed and sent to anyone with a legal interest in the property, please do not send this back with the application. If you are nominating a manager on your behalf please complete Form 3. In addition to the completed forms we require the following current valid certificates:-

  • Gas Safety (if there are gas appliances)
  • Electrical Safety –Fixed wiring
  • Portable Appliances Test (PAT test)
  • Fire Alarm (if there is an alarm system installed)
  • Emergency Lighting (if there is a system installed)
  • Fire Fighting Equipment Service (if there are fire extinguishers installed)
  • Energy Performance

Processing of Applications

We will contact you if it is necessary to arrange an inspection of the property required, or if any query arises from your application. Apart from the property, the Council has to consider the suitability of the proposed licence holder and manager. A ‘fit and proper person' check takes account of various convictions and other housing related matters which must be declared in the application. The Council will also consider the track record of the landlord and any complaints/notices made against them or their properties.

Determination of Application

We will send you a draft licence for your consideration prior to issuing the formal licence. A licence normally runs for a 5 year period, but maybe varied by the Council. A licence is non-transferable from one person to another and you must contact the Council and apply for a new licence in the case of a proposed change of ownership. In addition if you sell the property you must apply to have the licence revoked. If landlords/managers are dissatisfied with the decision of the Council, there is a right of appeal to the Upper Property Tribunal.

Please ensure that your fee payment and other correspondence is clearly marked for the attention of Private Sector Housing, Stratford-on-Avon District Council, Elizabeth House, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire CV37 6BU.

For further information, please contact the Private Sector Housing team:

Telephone: 01789 260848

Contact: The Private Sector Housing team

Last updated on 11/04/2024