Food safety is just as important for food prepared at home. By not storing, preparing and cooking food correctly you are at risk of food poisoning. We have put together some helpful tips to ensure the food you make and store is safe to eat:
- follow the storage and cooking guidelines on pre-packed food
- always wash your hands in between handling raw and cooked food
- ensure food is cooked thoroughly
- make sure raw meat is kept on the bottom shelf of your fridge
- prevent cross contamination, ensure surfaces used for ready to eat foods do not get contaminated by raw meat
- ensure all cooked food you intend to chill for later consumption is cooled, covered and refrigerated within 90 minutes.
For more information, contact the Food & Safety team: