Stratford-on-Avon District Council is responsible for complaints about food manufactured, prepared, sold or served in the district.

When making a food complaint, you will be asked to provide your contact details and a description of the incident. Your case will be allocated to an officer of the Food & Safety team to investigate. In some cases your complaint may be passed to Trading Standards or another local authority, depending on the nature of the complaint.

When investigating a complaint, the council has to act within the constraints of the law and we can only take legal action where the law applies and where the necessary evidence exists.

Complaints we will investigate

  • Sightings of pests
  • Absence of a hot or cold water supply
  • Poor cleaning standards
  • Poor food handling practices observed
  • Harmful foreign objects in food e.g. metal or glass

Complaints we won't investigate

  • Food quality
  • Foreign objects that are naturally occurring in food
  • Customer service issues

Click here for more detailed information on food complaints.

Making a complaint

Please note that we will not attempt to gain compensation or financial redress on your behalf, but you are free to take civil action independently against the retailer or producer of the food if you wish

Contact: The Environmental Health team

Last updated on 17/12/2021