The Audit and Standards Committee of Stratford-on-Avon District Council has strategic responsibility for overseeing standards of conduct for councillors across the district.

The Monitoring Officer is responsible for receiving and assessing individual complaints of councillor misconduct for SDC and all town and parish councils within the district, regardless of which code has been adopted.

To make a complaint you should download, complete and submit the complaint form to the Monitoring Officer. Alternatively, if you need a paper copy please write to: Monitoring Officer, Elizabeth House, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 6HX, telephone 01789 260403, or email

The Monitoring Officer will assess the complaint in line with the Complaints Procedure and make a decision as to whether the complaint requires a formal investigation after giving an opportunity for the councillor to comment and having taken into account the view of our two Independent Persons.

Independent Persons

SDC and other principal councils are required by law to appoint at least one Independent Person, who is required to provide their views to the Monitoring Officer on complaints against councillors. For more information, you can download the following documents:

Sarah Goodall OBE: Sarah was appointed as an officer in Warwickshire Police in 1989, remaining in law enforcement for all her career before retiring as a Deputy Director of the National Crime Agency. A resident of Stratford-upon-Avon, she has been keen to pursue interests in her local community, which include playing the cello and playing netball. She was appointed as an Independent Person in 2018.

Mike Dutton: Mike worked in local government for over 20 years at various levels and in a variety of roles, plus an informative time with the LGO dealing with complaints. I am a parish councillor of long standing.

Determination Panel

In a case where it is established through a formal investigation that there is a breach of a code of conduct and the Monitoring Officer is unable to resolve the matter through a local resolution, a panel of councillors (a Determination Panel using Determination Procedures) drawn from the Audit and Standards Committee may be convened to conduct a formal hearing into the issues.

Contact: the Directors' Unit team

Last updated on 25/09/2019