Help with Energy Bills

Help with Energy Bills

With the increase in energy costs you may feel you need some extra support or advice to manage your energy bills or make your home more energy efficient.

If you are struggling to pay energy bills contact your supplier. Under Ofgem rules suppliers must work with you to agree on a payment plan you can afford.

Below are links are to grants or other agencies that may be able to help you.

Warwickshire Local Welfare Scheme - helps the most vulnerable residents at times of unavoidable crisis when they have no other means of help.

Energy Rebate Scheme 2022 – Payment of £150 for households in bands A – D (and those in band E who have the disabled reduction). This scheme includes a discretionary element for those who do not meet the energy rebate scheme criteria.

Act On Energy – Provides free advice to households on how to manage gas and electricity bills. Advisors can assist in liaising with suppliers and arranging repayment plans.

Energy Bills Support Scheme – Households will receive a £400 grant from government to reduce energy bills from October. The discount will be made automatically by your energy supplier. There is no need to apply and you will not need to repay the grant.

Fuel poverty Citizens Advice South Warwickshire – tips to help you get the best deal, access grants and other support, and manage a tight budget.

Energy Bills Explained – This guide shows you how to read your energy bills

Winter Fuel Support Payments

Warm Home Discount Scheme – This is a rebate off your electricity bill of £140 to help vulnerable customers pay over the winter. Each supplier has different criteria, so you need to contact your supplier to see if you qualify.

Winter Fuel Payment – helps older people keep warm in winter. How much you receive will depend on your age, household and the benefits you receive. To check if you could be eligible and for further information and contact details visit the website.

Cold Weather Payment - The cold weather payment is a £25 payment made for each period when the local temperature is either recorded as, or forecast to be, an average of zero degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days, between 1 November and 31 March.

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you receive certain benefits. If you are eligible, you should be paid automatically. To check if you may be eligible and for more information visit the website.

Other Benefits or Support You May be Entitled To

Check if your household is eligible for other benefits which may reduce bills or give you additional income such as council tax reduction or free schools meals. Visit the Council's Benefits and Support page.

Energy Bills Support Scheme

The Government has this week announced a new scheme to help some households with Fuel Bills.

The Energy Bills Support Scheme (Alternate Funding) starts in January 2023. It is a one-off payment of £400 to households who ‘pay their electricity in a different way' Examples of eligible persons are:

Those with a commercial landlord or intermediatory like Park Home residents and some housing association tenants with inclusive rents and care home residents.

The Scheme is due to start at the end of Jan 2023 but now already announced by Government so you may start to get enquiries.

The main points are :

  • Applicants can only apply via a Gov UK portal – which will be available in Mid January 2023.
  • You cannot apply via your local council.
  • This Government portal will let you apply and verify your bank details.
  • Government will then tell Councils which addresses to pay.


Telephone: 0808 175 3287

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Please note Councils will not start paying until February 2023.

Government Press Release


The GOV.UK page launching in January 2023 will include an overview of eligibility and what applicants need to do to apply for energy bills support under the EBSS alternative funding scheme.

Subject to applications meeting the eligibility criteria, people who will be able to receive support under the EBSS AF delivered by local authorities, include:

  • care home residents and others in care facilities/sheltered accommodation (wholly or partly self-funded)
  • park home residents, houseboats and caravans that can provide proof of address
  • social and private tenants who pay for energy through a landlord on a commercial supply
  • travellers
  • homes on a heat network/private wire
  • off-grid homes
  • farmhouses used for wholly domestic purposes

Contact: The Social Inclusion team

Last updated on 20/04/2023