Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES)

The Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) Regulations set a minimum energy efficiency level for domestic private rented properties.

From 1st April 2018 landlords of domestic properties have not been legally able to grant a new tenancy or renew an existing tenancy for a property with an EPC rating of F or G, or since 1st April 2020, continue to let properties covered by the MEES Regulations where they have an EPC rating below E, unless they have a valid exemption in place.

The Regulations apply to all domestic private rented properties that are:

let on specific types of tenancy agreement
• legally required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). As a guide, If the property you let has been marketed for sale or let, or modified, in the past 10 years then it will probably be legally required to have an EPC.

This section also provides advice on selecting improvements to make and funding those improvements, to ensure your property is compliant with the legislation.

Please be aware that landlords who choose not to comply with the legislation, will be subject to enforcement action from the council which could result in financial penalties of up to £5,000. The Council is actively scrutinising the EPC register to identify such properties.

Government advice for landlords is available: Domestic private rented property: minimum energy efficiency standard - landlord guidance

If you require any information and advice, please contact us:

Relevant Tenancy Types

A list of tenancies relevant to the MEES legislation

Recommended Property Improvements

Advice on selecting recommendations to improve your properties EPC rating

Funding Improvements To Your Property

Information on funding options available for making improvements to your property


Guidance on exemptions available and how to apply for them


Details of the enforcement action that can be taken against landlords who fail to comply with the MEES legislation