Social Housing, also known as affordable housing, is for people who cannot afford or who cannot find suitable housing to rent or buy on the open market.
As Stratford-on-Avon District Council does not own any housing stock, all social housing is provided by housing associations.
Housing association properties that fall vacant are advertised and allocated through our housing register, Home Choice Plus.
To register for Home Choice Plus, please visit this website or speak to our Contact Centre on 01789 260 861 for further assistance.
If accepted, we will send you confirmation of your registration number and the band you have been awarded. We aim to deliver this within 10 working days of receiving your application.
If you experience any problems bidding or have any questions, please contact the Housing Advice team:
In order to join Home Choice Plus, applicants must have one of the following local connections to the Home Choice Plus partnership area (Stratford/Wyre Forest/Bromsgrove) (unless exempt):
- current residence of the applicant for at least 2 years,
- current employment of the applicant for at least 6 months,
- current residence of an applicant's close family member for at least 5 years,
- residence of the applicant for three out of the last five years
Households who meet any of the statutory homeless definitions, and those who are judged to fall within one of the reasonable preference categories as described by the legislation are also considered to have a local connection as a result of special circumstances.
In addition to housing need, an applicant's banding is assessed looking at local connection to the Stratford on Avon District area. In order to have a District connection, applicants must:
- have been resident in the District area for 6 out of the last 12 months, or 3 out of the last 5 years,
- Employed in the District area,
- Have a family connection in the District area where the family member has lived in the area for 5 years or more.
All new housing association properties, and those developed since 1996, give preference to households with a parish connection.
In order to have a parish connection, applicants must meet at leasrt one of the following:
- Born in the parish (parents lived in the parish at the time of the applicant's birth),
- current residence in the parish for at least 12 months,
- current employment in the parish for at least 12 months, where the employment is for at least 16 hours per week,
- previously resident in the parish for at least 3 years,
- current residence of immediate family members for at least 3 years (immediate family defined as mother/father/sister/brother/adult child).