General Election coming - are you on the electoral register?

Released on 8 October 2019 Press Release

Stratford News

With the speculation of a General Election, residents are being asked if they have completed the forms sent to them recently by Stratford-on-Avon District Council, to ensure they are on the electoral register.

Those who have not responded will be visited by District Council officers reminding them of the importance of submitting their details.

Although residents are not obliged to vote in the forthcoming election, it is a legal requirement that their details are submitted for inclusion on the register. It is used to provide credit checks and jury service selection.

David Dalby, Stratford-on-Avon District Council's Democratic Services Manager says: "If you want to vote, you need to be on the electoral register. If there are no changes to the list of people on the Household Enquiry Form sent to each property, it's so easy to respond by phone, text or internet. If there are changes, we need to have the form back with the additions/deletions.

"More than 80% have returned the forms so far - we are keen to keep the District Council's costs down by encouraging the return of the remaining 20%.

"Voting is an opportunity for you to have your say on important issues which affect your everyday life. Not only could any omissions cost you your right to vote, it could also affect  your credit rating and have serious repercussions for things such as mortgages, phone contracts and credit card applications."

At the beginning of August, 59,000 Household Enquiry Forms (HEF), outlining who is currently registered to vote in the household, were posted out to every household in the district.

Later in August, reminder letters were sent and visits will now be made to the 10,900 households whose details are still outstanding.

District Council officers will visit residents at home to ask them to complete their details. Residents will be asked to complete the HEF form and maybe an Invitation to Register as well, for this their date of birth and national insurance number will be required to confirm their identity for the register.  Officers will be identifiable with photographic identification which can be confirmed by calling the District Council on 01789 260208

For more information or to register details online visit www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.  Alternatively please call 01789 260208 to register over the phone.

Notes to editors

  1. Each household in the District was sent a *Household Enquiry Form (HEF) at the beginning of August. These will outline who is currently registered to vote in the household, it is not a registration form. New residents will be asked to complete a registration by completing a further form or going on-line.

  2. The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections.
    The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:
    * detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
    * calling people for jury service
    * checking credit applications.

  3. To be eligible to register to vote in England a person must be:
  • Aged 16 or over (a person may register to vote at 16, but may not vote until they are 18)
  • A British or qualifying Commonwealth citizen who has leave to enter and remain in the UK or does not require such leave.
  • A citizen of the Republic of Ireland or other European Union (EU) member state.
  • British citizens, Irish citizens and qualifying citizens of Commonwealth countries (including Cyprus and Malta), as well as citizens of other EU member states can vote in local government elections and Police and Crime Commissioner elections in England and Wales.

Contact details

Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Elizabeth House, Church Street,
Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire,
CV37 6HX
Tel: 01789 267575

Back to Current Press Releases
Last updated on 08/10/2019

Contact the Communications team