Stratford-on-Avon District Council's health walks scheme was set up to increase the number of local residents who walk to maintain or improve their fitness level.
We are always looking for volunteer walk leaders to lead short health walks around the Stratford District on weekday mornings and/or afternoons. We currently provide weekly walks in the following areas: Bidford-on-Avon, Southam, Stratford-upon-Avon and Wellesbourne, and hope to expand both the number of walks and the towns we cover as the scheme develops.
No experience is necessary as full training and support will be given, but knowledge of the local area and an interest in walking would be an advantage. First Aid training is not a requirement but is recommended by Walking for Health. A Volunteer Walk Leader training course will be provided free of charge. This is a nationally recognised training course for which you will receive a certificate of attendance.
- The 'feel good' factor: knowing that you've made a real difference, and actually having the chance to see it first-hand
- Make new friends: this is a great opportunity to meet like-minded people with similar interests from the local area
- Get others involved: you can help the walking community grow by encouraging other people involved
- Gain new skills: you will receive all the training that you need to take part in the scheme
- Increased job prospects: Voluntary work always looks good on a CV
What we expect from volunteers:
- Commit to leading or assisting with leading a walk in the Stratford District following training.
- Ensure that any walk carried out is mapped out and properly risk-assessed.
- Ensure that each walk is suitable for the ability of individuals within the group.
- Lead the walks in the manner specified at the training session, including making new participants feel welcome.
- Let a suitable contact person know, with plenty of notice, if you are unable to lead a walk to allow time for a replacement to be found.
- Ensure that a register of attendance is completed at each walk, to make sure that each walker has completed or updated his/her pre-walk health questionnaire, and to ensure that this paperwork is kept in a safe and secure place.
For further information about being a Ramblers Walking for Health leader visit the Walking for Health website.
If you are interested or would like to know more, please contact the Leisure Team.