Also in this section
- Planning & Building
- Broadview Energy Limited Proposed Wind Farm
- Building Regulations
- Conservation & Design
- Land Charges/Searches
- Planning & Building General Information
- Planning Applications
- Planning FAQ's
- Planning Policy
- Planning Weekly Lists
- Self Build Register of Interest
- Shottery Development
- Trees & Landscape
- Countryside Hedgerows
- Decisions delegated to Officers
- FAQ's & Useful Contacts
- High Hedges
- Protected Trees
- Trees in Conservation Areas
- The Stratford-on-Avon District Design Guide (8134KB PDF)
- Stratford-on-Avon Character Map- A Countryside Design Summary (619KB PDF)
- Planning Application Validation Checklist - updated April 2009 (758KB PDF)
- Delegated Decisions Header Page (79KB PDF)
- Delegated Decisions - August 2014 (145KB PDF)
- Help with PDFs
Trees & Landscape
Stratford-on-Avon's natural environment is diverse and is protected in a number of ways, for example by being within an area of designated land such as the Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty; within one of the District's 75 Conservation Areas or by trees being protected by a Tree Preservation Order.
The natural environment is protected by the following designations:
Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
Stratford-on-Avon Local Plan Review page 29 Policy EF1
Sites of Special Scientific Interest
Stratford-on- Avon Local Plan Review page 32/33 Policy EF6, EF7, EF7A
English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Historic Interest
Stratford-on-Avon Local Plan Review page 31 Policy EF5
Local Nature Reserves
Stratford-on-Avon Local Plan Review page 32/33 Policy EF6
Ancient and semi-natural woodlands
Stratford-on-Avon Local Plan Review page 34 Policy EF9
Stratford-on-Avon Local Plan Review page 37 Policies EF12, 13
Legislation relation to Tree Protection
Stratford-on-Avon Local Plan Review page 35 Policy EF10
Legislation relation to Countryside Hedgerow Protection
Stratford-on-Avon Local Plan Review page 35 Policy EF10
Legislation relation to historic landscapes and wildlife/ biodiversity Stratford-on-Avon Local Plan Review page 31 Policy EF4 and pages 32, 33 Policies EF6, EF7
The Planning Authority's two Forestry and Landscape Officers are primarily involved in protecting and promoting tree and landscape issues across the District. Much of their workload involves assessing applications for arboricultural works to trees the subject of a Tree Preservation Order or works to trees located within a Conservation Area. Given the increasing numbers of these applications, this has resulted in a reduction of their advisory work to the planning officers to ensure that proposed development does not have a detrimental impact on the District's landscape, trees and important landscape features. In these cases, planning officers assess the sites using guidance provided by the Forestry and Landscape Officers.
The Forestry and Landscape Officers deal with applications/notifications in relation to:
- those the subject of a Tree Preservation Order
- those located within a Conservation Area
- To submit via the Planning Portal
or an application form can be obtained by calling 01789 260304 or e-mail email@example.com
The Officers also deal with requests for the serving of new Tree Preservation Orders.
The Forestry and Landscape Officers also deal with notifications/complaints in relation to:
Hedgerow Regulations 1997. These Regulations cover notifications for the removal of agricultural hedgerows.
To download 1APP form number 21 and guidance notes for proposed agricultural hedgerow removal
To submit via the Planning Portal
- High Hedges – the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 allows the Planning Authority to deal with high hedge complaints
- To download a complaint form and guidance notes for High Hedge Complaint (fee required)
The Forestry and landscape Officers also liaise with the Forestry Commission over Felling Licences/breach of these controls within the District as well as keeping informed of the latest felling/woodland management proposals within the District. A list of the latest proposals can be viewed on the Forestry Commission Public Register of Planting and Felling where you can comment direct to the Forestry Commission.
Tree & Landscape Advice in Relation to Planning Applications
In relation to PLANNING APPLICATIONS, the Forestry and Landscape Officers provide advice to Planning Officers on:
- The protection of trees and other landscape features within development sites.
- The assessment of landscape impact of proposed development and advice on landscape mitigation.
- Evaluation of landscape schemes submitted as part of the planning process.
For advice regarding tree/landscape information required as part of a landscape submission, please view SDC Planning Validation Checklist and British Standards BS5837:2012 Trees in Relation to Design, Demolition and Construction- Recommendations.
In assessing these sites, the Forestry and Landscape Officers will take into consideration tree and landscape constraints such as TPO's; significant trees; character of the area; ancient woodlands; sensitivity of the landscape; historic nature of the landscape etc. Such assessments are undertaken with the assistance of the following documentation which you may find helpful:
- British Standard BS5837:2012 Trees in Relation to Design, Demolition and Construction- Recommendations.
- The District Council's own Conservation Area Documents and maps
- The Landscape Character – Warwickshire Landscape Guidelines
- The District Council's own District Design Guide
- Stratford-on-Avon Character Map
- Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment guide books
- Garden History Society Guidance in relation to historic landscapes
- The District Council's Local Plan Review and relevant policies
- Other guidance, technical papers etc.
General Tree Enquiries
The Planning Authority receives many enquiries about trees, most of which are the responsibility of others. Please see our Frequently asked questions and useful contacts page which will provide you with contact details.
If you have a general tree or landscape enquiry, pre application advice can be found via the link below