Our website has changed!

Please upgrade your account to take advantage of our new features.

It only takes a moment and you only have to do this once!

Upgrade Now No thanks, remind me next time

You have an unverified account!

Verify your existing account with us by clicking the link we sent
you in the confirmation email.

Don't worry if you lost the email. We can send you another one.

Resend verification email
No thanks, I can find my email

Please login

Sorry your details are incorrect.
Please try again.

forgot your password?
Not already registered?

Create new account
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Welcome! Sign in or register

Parking System Maintenance

Our parking system is currently undergoing essential maintenance to improve the service we provide. As a result, the following services are currently unavailable via that system:

  • Payments
  • Appeals

We are working to ensure full availability is restored as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience in this matter and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

For urgent enquiries, please call our office on 01789 267575.

Planning Forms and Fees

Planning Application Forms and Guidance Notes

The Council is now using the national standard 1APP forms. To speed up the process you can submit your application online via the national Planning Portal website.

For further information on how we manage your personal data during the planning application process please read our terms and conditions.

The following forms and notes are only available to download, complete and post or deliver to the Council Offices.

Applicants and agents should be aware that decisions on planning applications are being made on the information and plans submitted. If problems are identified with any application no additional time will be allowed to resolve them if this will result in the life of the application extending beyond the target date for determination. Under these circumstances the application is likely to be refused

Non-material amendments to existing planning permissions

New Changes since April 2015

For an extended temporary period until 30 May 2019 the Government has increased permitted development rights for householders. Permanent changes have been made to enable larger extensions at businesses to be carried out without the need for planning permission. It also enables certain changes of use to take place without the need for planning permission.

Householder Extensions

Details of the extended permitted developments for Householder Extensions is on the Householder Planning page. The relevant applications forms are also available for download below.

More details can be found on the DCLG Guidance Note

Extension and alterations to business premises

The extended permitted development rights for extensions to business premises that fall under the following categories have now been made permanent:

  • Non domestic extensions and alterations (Part 7 development)

Full details of the extended permitted development rights is set out in the legislation contained in Statutory Instrument 2015.

Changes of use

For a temporary period until 30 May 2016 some changes of use of land or buildings may be permitted development, provided that the Council is notified in writing as to whether prior approval is required.

To assist the Council in processing any written notifications, you are recommended to use the Prior Approval - Change of use form.

The types of change of use that the new legislation relates to are listed below:

  • Class C - change of use from retail, betting office or pay day loan shop or casino to restaurant or cafe
  • Class J - Change of use from retail, betting office or pay day loan shop to assembly and leisure
  • Class M - Change of use from retail, betting office or pay loan shop to dwellings
  • Class N - Change of use from specified sui generis (casino or amusement arcade) to dwellings
  • Class O - Change of use from offices to dwellings
  • Class P - Change of use from storage or distribution to dwellings
  • Class Q - Change of use from agricultural to dwellings
  • Class R - Change of use from agricultural use to flexible commercial use (Class A1, A2, A3, B1, B8, C1 or D2)
  • Class S - Change of use from agricultural to state funded school or nursery
  • Class T - Change of use from business, hotels to State Funded School

Please note that the fee for this type of prior approval application will be £80.
Where a proposed change of use also involves associated building operations the fee will be £172.

Full details of the permitted development rights for change of use are set out in the legislation contained in Statutory Instrument 2015 (see link above).

Temporary Changes of Use

The Government has enabled certain temporary changes of use of buildings to be permitted development subject to various criteria and subject to the following porcedures being carried out:

Part 4, Class C - Use of building as a state funded school for 1 academic year. This requires the developer to send a written request to the Council as to whether the building has been nominated as a 'community asset'.

Part 4, Class D - Change of use from shops, financial, cafes, takeaways, pubs etc. to temporary flexible use for a period of 2 years. This requires the developer to notify the Council of the date that the use will begin, prior to the change of use taking place.

Part 4, Class E - Use of buildings or land for film making purposes for a period not exceeding 9 months. This requires the developer to apply to the Council for a determination of whether prior approval is required. The relevant application forms can be downloaded by using this link (Class E)

Other Notification of Prior Approvals

In addition to those matters described above, it is necessary to apply for prior approval for the following types of development:

Planning Application Fees

'Sustainable Low-carbon Buildings'

The Council and no longer requires a submission in connection with this previously adopted document.

Local Lists

The District Council is drawing up a Local List of information it needs to decide on planning applications. This list is specific to Stratford upon Avon Council – it can be modified depending on the replies we get from public consultation. The consultation period runs until 18 September. We welcome your views on what should be added in, left out or modified. Comments should be sent to Dale.barker@Stratford-DC.gov.uk with ‘Local List Comments' in the Subject line."

Useful Links

For further information please contact us on 01789 260304 or by email at planning.applications@stratford-dc.gov.uk