Our website has changed!

Please upgrade your account to take advantage of our new features.

It only takes a moment and you only have to do this once!

Upgrade Now No thanks, remind me next time

You have an unverified account!

Verify your existing account with us by clicking the link we sent
you in the confirmation email.

Don't worry if you lost the email. We can send you another one.

Resend verification email
No thanks, I can find my email

Please login

Sorry your details are incorrect.
Please try again.

forgot your password?
Not already registered?

Create new account
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Welcome! Sign in or register

Parking System Maintenance

Our parking system is currently undergoing essential maintenance to improve the service we provide. As a result, the following services are currently unavailable via that system:

  • Payments
  • Appeals

We are working to ensure full availability is restored as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience in this matter and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

For urgent enquiries, please call our office on 01789 267575.

Listed Buildings

Listed Buildings - Cidermill
Listed Buildings - Cidermill

Many villages in the Stratford-on-Avon District are justifiably renowned for their beauty and much of the attraction for visitors is the wealth of historic buildings and sites. Indeed, the district boasts over 3,300 listed buildings or structures.

It is a privilege to own, live or work in a listed property but with this comes responsibility.

What is a Listed Building?
It is a building or structure that the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport considers to be of special architectural or historic interest. Listing provides legal protection from demolition and alterations, which would destroy historic features or affect its character.

The whole of a building is listed - exterior and interior - together with anything attached to the exterior (such as railings), as are any detached outbuildings, walls or other structures built before 1 July 1948 within the curtilage, or grounds, of the building. Alterations and additions carried out after the date of listing are also included.

Listed Buildings are graded to show their importance. However, the legal protection is the same and applies to the whole building, including the interior, in every grade.

Grade I Those of "exceptional interest"
Grade II* "particularly important buildings of more than special interest"
Grade II "of special interest"

Nationally, of the 370,000 or so list entries currently protected by listing, 92% are Grade II.

How do I find out if a building is listed?
The Conservation team hold a copy of the Register of Buildings and Structures of special Architectural and Historic Interest. Contact Conservation on 01789 260304 to check whether the building or structure is listed in its own right or "curtilage listed".

The description sometimes highlights important internal features or famous associations; a copy can be made available to you from Conservation for a small fee alternatively visit the English Heritage website to see the listing. Please note that the description is only used for identification purposes. It has no legal significance and does not list all noteworthy features.

If you are considering or have recently purchased a property, the listing should be entered in the local Land Charge Register.

What do you mean by curtilage listing?
The curtilage is the land within which the building is set, which belongs (or, in some cases, once belonged) and is ancillary to it. For example, outbuildings previously belonging to a listed farmhouse that have been converted to separate dwellings could still be curtilage listed. It is essential that you check with Conservation as you may require Listed Building Consent for alterations.

Who should I talk to about listing (or de-listing) a building?
As of April 1, 2005, English Heritage took over responsibility for the administration of the listing system from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

You can find out more about the process and how to apply to have a building listed (or appeal against its listing) by clicking on the links on the right.

Planning Applications

  • You can submit applications for permission or consent online via the national Planning Portal; or
  • download the relevant national standard 1APP forms.

Can I carry out any works to a listed building?
You must apply for Listed Building Consent before making any physical alterations either inside or outside the property. This may include even what seems to be relatively minor alterations or redecoration, such as removal of plasterwork or, in cases where the historic fabric or character may be affected, the renewal of internal fittings such as kitchens, bathroom suites and central heating systems.

If your query is in connection with your windows

If you are proposing works to windows a useful guide from English Heritage will provide some guidance and advice to assist you.

If you wish an officer to provide informal advice on proposed alterations before you submit an application please submit an application for pre app advice providing as much information as possible in relation to the proposed works and the appropriate fee for this advice.

There is no fee for Listed Building Consent; however, you may also require Planning Permission and possibly Building Regulations.

Lawful Development Certificate

From 6 April 2014 it is also possible to apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness of proposed works to a listed building, where confirmation is required that Listed Building Consent is not required. A copy of the legislation setting out the new procedure can be downloaded using the following link to the Statutory Instrument.

Application forms are available for Certificates of Lawfulness of proposed works using the link below:

NEW Lawful Development Certificate

Please see the Checklist for Listed Buiding LDP

Contact the Planning department on 01789 260304 if you are considering erecting, altering or demolishing a wall or fence as permission may be required.

It is a criminal offence to carry out work without permission. Unauthorised works can lead to the prosecution of the owner and/or the person carrying out the works. Additionally, an enforcement notice can be served requiring the correction of unauthorised works.

It's hard to find specialists for this kind of work. Can you recommend anyone?
Stratford-on-Avon District Council is unable to recommend any one supplier, contrator or designer. However, we do have some information on file relating to appropriate materials. Please contact Conservation or see 'further information' below for useful addresses.

What about repairs and maintenance?
Repairs can required Listed Building consent depending on the extent of replacement and the value of the fabric affected.

Please note that the replacement of single glazed windows with double glazed always requires consent and is often unacceptable. However it is normally possible to fit secondary glazing without compromising the historic fabric and in these cases, consent may not required.

Please do check with the Conservation department if there is a possibility that the fabric of the building could be affected.

Can I get any financial help?
Unfortunately grants are no longer available from this local authority.

Further Information

English Heritage - Advice for Owners of Listed Buildings

Department for Culture, Media and Sport

Images of England - A photographic record of England's listed buildings.

The Georgian Group

The Victorian Society

The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (S P A B)

Building Conservation - Products and suppliers

For further information please contact the Heritage and Design Team on 01789 260304 or by email at planning@stratford-dc.gov.uk, or by fax on 01789 260306.