Our website has changed!

Please upgrade your account to take advantage of our new features.

It only takes a moment and you only have to do this once!

Upgrade Now No thanks, remind me next time

You have an unverified account!

Verify your existing account with us by clicking the link we sent
you in the confirmation email.

Don't worry if you lost the email. We can send you another one.

Resend verification email
No thanks, I can find my email

Please login

Sorry your details are incorrect.
Please try again.

forgot your password?
Not already registered?

Create new account
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Welcome! Sign in or register

Householder Planning

Householder developments are defined as those within the curtilage of a house (or a single flat) which require an application for planning permission and are not a change of use.

Included in householder developments are extensions, conservatories, loft conversions, dormer windows, alterations, garages, car ports or outbuildings, swimming pools, walls, fences, domestic vehicular accesses including footway crossovers, porches, balconies/terraces and satellite dishes.

Planning Portal logo

Excluded from householder developments are applications relating to any work to two or more flats, applications to change the number of dwellings (flat conversions, building a separate house in the garden), changes of use to part or all of the property to non-residential (including business) uses, anything outside the garden of the property (including stables if in a separate paddock).

New Householder Extensions - Prior Approval

New legislation coming into force on the 30 May 2013 provides for a system of prior notification for single storey rear extensions (between 3 metres and 6 metres for a terraced/semi detached house and between 4 metres and 8 metres for detached houses).

More details can be found on the DCLG Guidance Note

Under the new legislation, if you wish to carry out an extension under the increased permitted allowance, you are required to give written notification to the Council to determine whether prior approval is required for the proposed extension.

To assist the Council in processing this written notification, you are recommended to use the Householder Prior Notification form which includes guidance notes on the procedure involved.

When you have completed the extension under the Prior Approval process you are required to notify the Council. Please use the Notification of Completion form.

Link to the Statutory Instrument 2013 No. 1101 is available here.

Do I need Planning Permission?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your home without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called permitted development. Other works or alterations need planning permission.

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development)(Amendment)(No.2)(England) Order 2008 is the legislation that governs the types of development a homeowner can carry out without planning permission.

The Planning Portal website provides interactive Visual Guides for Householders with information on common householder projects that reflect the new changes. Information is presented via an Interactive House and an Interactive Terrace. In addition there are Mini Guides - visual walkthroughs of popular householder building projects including: Extensions, Loft Conversions, Outbuildings and Porches, and Conservatories.

The Portal also provides planning and building regulations guidance for many common building work projects for the home.

Dwellings that are Listed Buildings

If your property is a Listed Building you will require Listed Building Consent for any extensions or alterations (including roof alterations and porches), regardless of whether planning permission is required. All applications for Listed Building Consent require the submission of a Design and Access Statement and a Statement of Significance(for further information please see the planning FAQ section).

Listed Building Consent is not required for any outbuildings provided that they are not physically attached to a property or structure which has listed or curtilage listed status.

If you know that you do not need planning permission but you do need Listed Building Consent, and would like advice, please complete the Pre-Application Planning Advice (Listed Building) form together with the appropriate fee.

Planning Advice for Homeowners

Extending Your Home
The Council has adopted this advice document, showing how you can extend your home, or carry out other development to your property, without harming the appearance of the area, your neighbour's enjoyment of their own property or other important planning issues.
Please note that under Section 2. General information on page 1 of the document, there is reference to a 'Householder Development Enquiry Form'. This form is no longer available and has been replaced by the self assessment forms above.

Climate Change and Your Home
An interactive web portal by English Heritage, designed specifically to help those who own or manage houses built of traditional construction understand more about the potential impacts of climate change and ways to save energy.

Historic Buildings - Energy Advice
Advice to owners of listed buildings or other older buildings on how to reduce carbon emissions/improve energy efficiency whilst still protecting the character of the buildings.

Sustainable Low-carbon Buildings
The Council has adopted this Supplementary Planning Document, which provides guidance on the implementation of policies to promote sustainable drainage, energy conservation and renewable energy. The requirements apply to all applications for planning permission, including householder applications. You are advised to refer to these new requirements before submitting your application.

Simplified Energy Statement form
For householder developments, giving information on proposed sustainable drainage and energy efficiency measures as required by the Sustainable Low-carbon Buildings SPD. You can complete this form to meet the requirements for an Energy Statement to accompany a householder planning application.

Other Planning Advice

If your property lies within the West Midlands Green Belt, additional restrictions may apply in assessing your proposals. You should seek the advice of a professional planning agent or make a request for pre-application advice from the Council's planning team.

Planning permission is required for change of use of agricultural land, paddocks or orchards, whether currently in use or vacant, to residential garden land.

You do not normally need to make an application to form a new access, or to improve an existing access, unless the access would be onto a classified road (an A, B or C class road). The County Council can advise whether the road is classified. There are also some cases where the 'permitted development rights' to form accesses without making an application have been withdrawn by a condition on a previous planning permission (a pre-application advice request would provide this information for you). A planning application will normally be required if any new access drive will cross land which is in another use, e.g. a residential driveway across agricultural land. A planning application is also likely to be required if significant alterations in ground levels are required in order to construct the access. You must obtain the separate approval of the Warwickshire County Council Highways Department if a new driveway would cross a pavement or road verge.

Application Form

Help Text


1. Householder Application for planning permission for works or extension to a dwelling

Help with Form 1

Checklist for Form 1

2. Householder Application - Conservation for planning permission for works or extension to a dwelling and conservation consent for demolition in a conservation area

Help with Form 2

Checklist for Form 2

3. Householder Application - Listed Building for planning permission for works or extension to a dwelling and listed building consent for alterations, extensions or demolition of a listed building.

Help with Form 3

Checklist for Form 3

All householder applications for sites in a Conservation Area, Site of Special Scientific Interest or within the Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) will need Design and Access Statements.

For further information please contact us on 01789 260304 or by email at planning.applications@stratford-dc.gov.uk or by fax on 01789 260306.