Our website has changed!

Please upgrade your account to take advantage of our new features.

It only takes a moment and you only have to do this once!

Upgrade Now No thanks, remind me next time

You have an unverified account!

Verify your existing account with us by clicking the link we sent
you in the confirmation email.

Don't worry if you lost the email. We can send you another one.

Resend verification email
No thanks, I can find my email

Please login

Sorry your details are incorrect.
Please try again.

forgot your password?
Not already registered?

Create new account
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Welcome! Sign in or register

Parking System Maintenance

Our parking system is currently undergoing essential maintenance to improve the service we provide. As a result, the following services are currently unavailable via that system:

  • Payments
  • Appeals

We are working to ensure full availability is restored as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience in this matter and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

For urgent enquiries, please call our office on 01789 267575.

Do I need Building Regulations Approval?

The majority of Building Projects require approval under the Building Regulations, these include:-

  1. The construction of a new House, Office, Shop, Factory, Hotel or other significant Building.
  2. The extension of any building, unless the extension is either a porch or conservatory (see below).
  3. Structural Alterations carried out on buildings, eg. removing load-bearing walls.
  4. Alterations to drainage systems, heating systems and hot water systems.
  5. Internal alterations to commercial buildings that affect means of escape in case of fire.
  6. Cavity Wall Insulation.
  7. Underpinning.
  8. Replacement Windows.
  9. Certain changes of use of Buildings.

Self Certification

To help you to gain Building Regulations approval more easily the government have allowed certain trade bodies to self certify their members work and to issue Building Regulations Certificates. These are called competent person schemes.

For further information please download the following document - competent person schemes leaflet

Tips for using Self Certified Contractors

1. Always ensure the contractor is registered for the work they are undertaking, eg. If you are having a new heating system installed ensure the contractor is a registered installer not a service engineer.

2. Always ensure that at the end of the job the contractor issues you with a Certificate confirming that the work complies with the Building Regulations, you may need this when you come to sell your property.

3. If you are in any doubt about anything either contact the relevant trade association or contact Stratford Building Control for advice.

Projects that do not Need Building Regulations

Some projects are exempt from the Building Regulations, these include:

  1. Most Agricultural Buildings.
  2. Temporary Buildings intended to remain in place for no longer than 28 days.
  3. Small Detached Buildings which contain no sleeping accommodation and have a floor area not exceeding 15m2 eg. garden sheds.
  4. Small Detached Buildings with a floor area not exceeding 30m2 which contain no sleeping accommodation and are either substantially non-combustible or are located at least 1m from the property boundary eg. Detached single or small double garages of masonry construction.
  5. Porches with a floor area not exceeding 30m2 so long as a door is retained in the current front door position.
  6. Conservatories with a floor area not exceeding 30m2 providing that the conservatory is separated from the house, is single storey, substantially glazed and has a translucent roof.
  7. Carports open on at least two sides.
  8. Covered ways.

If you are in any doubt as to whether your particular project requires Building Regulation approval please contact us and we will be pleased to advise you.

For further information please download the Building Control Service Standards.

For further information please contact the Building Control Team on 01789 260626, or by emailing buildingcontrol@stratford-dc.gov.uk