Our website has changed!

Please upgrade your account to take advantage of our new features.

It only takes a moment and you only have to do this once!

Upgrade Now No thanks, remind me next time

You have an unverified account!

Verify your existing account with us by clicking the link we sent
you in the confirmation email.

Don't worry if you lost the email. We can send you another one.

Resend verification email
No thanks, I can find my email

Please login

Sorry your details are incorrect.
Please try again.

forgot your password?
Not already registered?

Create new account
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Welcome! Sign in or register

Parking System Maintenance

Our parking system is currently undergoing essential maintenance to improve the service we provide. As a result, the following services are currently unavailable via that system:

  • Payments
  • Appeals

We are working to ensure full availability is restored as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience in this matter and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

For urgent enquiries, please call our office on 01789 267575.

Building Control Handy Guides

Extending or Renovating your home

If you need more space and you do not want to move house you may wish to consider extending or renovating your home.

Your home is probably your most valuable assett so it is important that your extension project is carefully planned. This guide is not a substitute for professional advice but has been written to provide you with useful information about how the Building Regulations will affect your extension.

Please view the e book guide to extending your home

Please view the e book guide to renovating your home

Guide to conservatories

If you are considering a conservatory often this will be exempt from the requirements of the Building regulations.

To be exempt the conservatory must be single storey, have a floor area not exceeding 30m2, be thermally separated from the house via external quality doors and windows, have its own independant heating and be substantially glazed i.e. 75% of the roof and 50% of the external walls. It is important that any electrical works are carried out by a Part P registered contractor.

Please click on the guide to conservatories for more information.

Guide to Sustainability

The guide focuses on what sustainability means from a Planning and Building Control point of view.

The guide considers some of the key issues and explores some of the options that we have available to us to reduce the impact our buildings have on the environment around us.

Please view the guide to sustainability.

Sound Insulation

This short practical guide highlights the how Part E of the Building Regulations may affect your building project.

Please view the sound insulation guide

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996

Some kinds of work carried out to a property may not be controlled by the Building Regulations, but may be work which is covered by the Party Wall etc, Act 1996. This is a separate piece of legislation with different requirements to the Building Regulations. The Party Wall etc. Act makes provision in respect of party walls and excavation and construction in proximity to certain buildings or structures. There will be some instances where both the Party Wall etc. Act and the Building Regulations apply to the work being carried out.

You must find out whether work you intend to carry out falls within The Party Wall etc, Act 1996. This includes work which involves:

  • work on an existing wall shared with another property
  • building on the boundary with a neighbouring property
  • work involving excavating near a boundary

It is essential that you understand your obligations to notify adjoining owners and are aware of the circumstances under which a dispute can arise.

Please view the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 or the Governments booklet on a Guide to the Party wall Act 1996.

If you need to know any more about any of our guides or any other aspect of the Building Regulations, please contact us on 01789 260626, or by emailing buildingcontrol@stratford-dc.gov.uk, and we will be pleased to advise you.