Also in this section
Home Choice Plus
Social Housing – also known as affordable housing – is for people who cannot afford, or who cannot find, suitable housing to rent or buy on the open market.
Stratford-on-Avon District Council does not own any properties itself. All affordable housing in this area is provided by Housing Associations.
All housing association properties that fall vacant in Stratford-on-Avon District will be allocated through Home Choice Plus, a partnership of local authorities. The new scheme replaces the Housing Waiting List and Orbit Heart of England's transfer list. Housing Association tenants in the Home Choice Plus area seeking a move are also able to apply to join Home Choice Plus.
The Home Choice Plus partnership includes the following authorities: Bromsgrove, Malvern Hills, Stratford-on-Avon, Worcester, Wychavon and Wyre Forest. If you want to be considered for housing association properties in any of the areas included within these authorities, you need apply to Home Choice Plus.
The Home Choice Plus Process
- You register with Home Choice Plus by filling in an application form. You can get an application form by contacting the Council's Housing Advice Team (by telephoning 01789 260861/2, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by faxing 01789 260895).
- You can download an application form from www.homechoiceplus.org.uk. Please complete and return the form to: The Housing Advice Team, Stratford-on-Avon District Council, Elizabeth House, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warks, CV37 6HX.
- Once you have registered, we will send you confirmation of the registration number and the band you have been placed in.
- Housing Association properties, which are vacant will be advertised each week at the Contact Points (Stratford District Council area offices), on the internet at www.homechoiceplus.org.uk and on the Property Line by telephoning 01789 260840
- You can bid for properties on the internet at www.homechoiceplus.org.uk or by telephoning the Bidding Line on 0845 270 0557. You can also text your bid by mobile phone to 07781 486 644. The attached leaflet explains how to find out what properties are available and how to place a bid.
- Special arrangements have been put in place to ensure that the system is accessible to the more vulnerable.
- You can make up to 3 bids per week, as long as you match what the advert asks for.
- The applicant with the highest priority and who has been in the relevant band the longest will be put forward for the property
- The successful applicant will be contacted by the Council/ Housing Association and asked for such information as identification etc. A viewing will be arranged and if you are accepted an offer will be made.
Further information is available at www.homechoiceplus.org.uk.
If you are having any problems bidding, or have any questions, please contact the Housing Advice Team on 01789 260861/2 or by email to email@example.com.
Click here for more information on Shared Ownership housing.
If you are an existing tenant of a Council or Housing Association and would like to move to another town or district, you may be able to exchange properties with a social housing tenant who currently lives in your area of choice and also wishes to move. The organisation HomeSwapper provides a service that you locate other tenants throughout the country that want to swap homes. More information is available on the website; please be aware that there is a fee for this service if your current social landlord is not already a member of HomeSwapper.