Our website has changed!

Please upgrade your account to take advantage of our new features.

It only takes a moment and you only have to do this once!

Upgrade Now No thanks, remind me next time

You have an unverified account!

Verify your existing account with us by clicking the link we sent
you in the confirmation email.

Don't worry if you lost the email. We can send you another one.

Resend verification email
No thanks, I can find my email

Please login

Sorry your details are incorrect.
Please try again.

forgot your password?
Not already registered?

Create new account
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Welcome! Sign in or register

Noise Nuisance Homepage

The Council has a legal duty to advise and assist local people on noise nuisance issues. Noise from neighbours can be a serious problem. Business and industry can also be a source of disturbance. For example, late night deliveries, workshop activities and noise from ventilation systems are common causes of complaints. If the noise is bad enough to prevent relaxation or deny sleep, the long-term effect can be damaging to the health and well-being of the person at the receiving end.

These pages aim to provide you with information about our procedures and services to investigate and deal with noise complaints.


Noise is generally defined as unwanted sound. That means the noise could be:

  • Too loud
  • Too intrusive
  • At the wrong time
  • Having a particularly irritating characteristic such as a repetitive bass beat or a high pitch whine

A noise is a nuisance when it materially affects your comfort or quality of life. The noise can be continuous or intermittent but its assessment is based on the concepts of reasonableness and the 'average person'. Consequently, normal daytime noise would not generally be considered a nuisance even if it was disturbing someone trying to sleep during the day. In addition it is important to note that the nuisance will be normally assessed from within your home.

We must all ensure that we take appropriate actions for reducing noise in the home. Please follow the link for tips of reducing noise in the home.

What we can and cannot help with

Noise we can help with
Noise we cannot help with

Domestic Noise

(Excluding any noise mentioned to the right)

Noisy behaviour in the street

Barking Dogs

Noise from normal day to day behaviour

Loud Music

Occasional or one-off parties

Burglar Alarms



Vehicle noise/Air traffic noise

Motor Repairs

Anti Social Behaviour issues

Factory noise

Ambulance/police sirens

Equipment noise

Pelican crossing bleepers

Construction noise

Children playing

For children playing, pelican crossing bleepers, service sirens and normal day to day activity noise (e.g. conversations, flushing toilets, mowing the lawn, vacuuming at reasonable time of day), please note this noise is not actionable by any authority.

For noisy/anti social behaviour in the street, fireworks and vehicle noise, contact Warwickshire Police on 101 (non emergency number).

For anti social neighbour behaviour such as aggressive shouting or banging etc which causes you to feel personally threatened, contact Warwickshire Police on 101 (non emergency number) and the Anti Social Behaviour Team here at the council.

For more detailed information on fireworks and alarm protocols, see the links on the right of this page.

For more information on noise please see our FAQ's


Stratford on Avon District Council considers that its residents can reasonably expect:

  • To be protected from significant loss of amenity due to noise;
  • To have qualified professional staff available to assess nuisance;
  • Not to hear someone else's excessive noise in their home on a regular basis, eg music, barking dogs, alarms, DIY.

Our Commitment to you

Your enquiry will be dealt with by professional staff who have the correct skills and knowledge to assess noise complaints. They will adopt a fair and impartial approach.
A named officer will deal with your case whom you will be able to contact and seek advice from at every stage of the procedure.


Making a complaint: Complaints may be made in person, by telephone, by letter, email etc. or via a third party such as a Councillor. Trained staff will take initial details. The complaint will then be referred to the investigating officer who will send the complainent log sheets to be filled out and returned to us. Alternatively, you can download the log sheets yourself on the right hand side of this page and return them to us with a brief covering letter to Environmental Health, Stratford on Avon Dictrict Council, Elizabeth House Church Street, Stratford upon Avon, CV37 6HX. Please include full addresses and contact telephone numbers.

To make a telephone complaint or obtain advice about noise, telephone 01789 267575 during normal office hours.

You can also report a problem by using our online report form.

Noise Nuisance App

With noise nuisance cases it is important that evidence of the noise and its impact on you is logged over time to assist Council Officers in determining if the noise amounts to a statutory nuisance.

Using the Noise Nuisance App is easy; within seconds you are able to make audio recordings of the noise and enter details about the nature of the disturbance which then make up a noise diary. This can then be easily shared with officers in the Council's Pollution Service who deal with noise nuisance investigations. Alternatively, you can use the evidence you have gathered to take your own action at the magistrate's court.

Noise Nuisance App- Android

Noise Nuisance App - I Phone

If the problem occurs outside normal office hours, you should log the complaint by using the above link, leave a message on 01789 267575, or phone during normal office hours.

When we contact you in response to your complaint we will explain the procedure and discuss possible courses of action. Your identity will be kept confidential at all times but in some cases the other person may guess who has made the complaint and we will neither confirm nor deny any speculation. You must however be aware that the involvement of outside agencies like our own could possibly aggravate neighbour relations. In addition if the nuisance is proven we may need to take the matter to court and you may be needed to appear as a witness or provide a statement. If we cannot deal with the case or our investigations fail to produce an informal solution or sufficient evidence to take legal action, we will advise you of other possible courses of action available to you.

It is important to note that when investigating a complaint the Council has to act within the constraints of the law and we can only take legal action where the law applies and where the necessary evidence exists.


Further information can be obtained from the following sources:

For further information please contact the Environmental Protection team on 01789 260835, or by emailing envhealth@stratford-dc.gov.uk