Our website has changed!

Please upgrade your account to take advantage of our new features.

It only takes a moment and you only have to do this once!

Upgrade Now No thanks, remind me next time

You have an unverified account!

Verify your existing account with us by clicking the link we sent
you in the confirmation email.

Don't worry if you lost the email. We can send you another one.

Resend verification email
No thanks, I can find my email

Please login

Sorry your details are incorrect.
Please try again.

forgot your password?
Not already registered?

Create new account
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Welcome! Sign in or register

Parking System Maintenance

Our parking system is currently undergoing essential maintenance to improve the service we provide. As a result, the following services are currently unavailable via that system:

  • Payments
  • Appeals

We are working to ensure full availability is restored as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience in this matter and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

For urgent enquiries, please call our office on 01789 267575.

Burglar Alarms

Audible Intruder Alarms are widely used to protect property from unauthorised entry. Unfortunately they may be triggered by a fault in the system causing a noise problem for nearby neighbours, especially if it occurs frequently.

Complaints are usually due to the duration of the alarm rather than to the actual volume. Under the Control of Pollution (Code of Practice on Noise from Audible Intruder Alarms) Order 1982, it is recommended that all alarm systems should have an automatic cut off device fitted to stop the alarm sounding after 20 minutes. If you live within the Stratford-on-Avon District Council area you should log details of reliable key holders to your premises with the Council's Environmental Protection Team. This is not a legal obligation, but can save time and expense if your alarm goes off.

These details are kept on a confidential database and the key-holders are only contacted if your alarm is reported as sounding. These details will not be passed to any third party without your consent.

What do I do if an alarm is going off?

  • If you suspect a forced entry to the property contact the police immediately.

  • Talk to neighbours to see if there are any key-holders and when the owners are expected to return

  • If the alarm continues after 20 minutes then contact the Council's Environmental Protection Team on 01789 267575

We will check our database to see if a key-holder exists. If it does, then we will contact them to disable the alarm.

If no details are available, or the key-holder is not available, and it is not known if the householders are due home soon then an officer will visit to assess the noise for nuisance. If the noise from the alarm is deemed to be a Statutory Nuisance then formal action will be taken by the officer. This will involve the service of a Noise Abatement Notice under the provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. If the notice is not complied with - i.e. the sounder turned off within 20 minutes - the officer will arrange for an alarm company to disable the alarm from the outside. This may mean that the property is no longer covered by the alarm until reset.

Any costs incurred by the Council will be recovered from the owner. This could amount to several hundred pounds if over a Bank Holiday weekend. We would prefer not to take this kind of action and if alarm holders could register a key-holder who could be contacted 24 hours a day this could save money and be less irritating to neighbours.

What You Can do

  • Complete a key-holder's form (Alarm Registration Form). This can be downloaded from the links on the right.

  • Ensure your alarm has a 20-minute cut-off and is serviced on a regular basis

  • When taking over an existing alarm have it serviced to ensure it is working correctly.


Your alarm is there to protect your property, but if the alarm sounds often it may be ignored and is therefore not doing its intended job. If you are unable to take your complaint forward, or you wish to deal with the problem yourself, you can make a complaint under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. Contact the Clerk to the Magistrates' at your local court and explain that you wish to make a complaint under Section 80 of the above Act.

For further information please contact the Environmental Protection team on 01789 267575, or by emailing envhealth@stratford-dc.gov.uk