Also in this section
- Animal Health and Welfare
- Approved Food Premises
- Caravan and Camping Sites
- Change of DPS
- Cooling Tower Notification
- Dangerous Wild Animals
- De-regulated entertainment
- Dog Breeding
- Environmental Permit
- Food Premises Registration
- Gambling Act 2005
- House to House Collections
- Licensing Act 2003
- Licensing Act 2003 Recent Applications
- Licensing Enquiry / Complaint Form
- Pet Shops
- Pleasure Boats
- Riding Establishments
- Safety Certificate for Sports Stands
- Scrap Metal Dealers
- Second-hand goods dealers licence
- Sex Establishments
- Sexual Entertainment Venues (SEV's)
- Skin Piercing Licence
- Sports Ground Safety Certificate
- Street Collections
- Street Performers
- Street Trading Consents
- Sunday Trading
- Dual Drivers Licences
- Hackney Carriages
- Private Hire Vehicles
- Vehicle Inspection Standards
- Temporary Event Notices
- Hackney Carriage / Private Hire Complaint Form (66KB PDF)
- Hackney Carriage / Private Hire Vehicle Change of Ownership Notification (48KB PDF)
- Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Fees (75KB PDF)
- Accident Report Form (214KB PDF)
- Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Related Policies (816KB PDF)
- Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driving Assessment (DSA) (489KB PDF)
- Help with PDFs
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire
The main difference between the two is that only a Hackney Carriage can ply for trade or be flagged down. The maximum fares are set by the Council. A private hire vehicle must be booked over the telephone or through the operator's office, and must not display the words 'taxi' or 'cab' on the vehicle.
The department issues Licences both for the vehicles and the drivers, and ensures that adequate insurance cover is held. High standards of safety are ensured, and complaints about overcharging or inefficiency, for example, are investigated. If you have cause for complaint, a form is available to download and return.
For details on licence fees, please see the link on the right.
If there has been a change of ownership of a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle you will need to notify us. A Notification of Change of Ownership form can be downloaded from the links on the right.
Any licensed vehicle which is involved in an accident must report the accident to the licensing authority within 72 hours. The Accident Reporting Form is available to download here.
Our current Hackney Carriage and Private Hire policies may be found by clicking the link to the right of this document.
Drivers are required to undertake a practical Driving Assessment prior to a licence being issued. The driving assessment can be booked with our approved assessors Diamond using the link to the right.
For further information please contact the Licensing Team on 01789 260211 or by email at email@example.com or by fax on 01789 260860.