Our website has changed!

Please upgrade your account to take advantage of our new features.

It only takes a moment and you only have to do this once!

Upgrade Now No thanks, remind me next time

You have an unverified account!

Verify your existing account with us by clicking the link we sent
you in the confirmation email.

Don't worry if you lost the email. We can send you another one.

Resend verification email
No thanks, I can find my email

Please login

Sorry your details are incorrect.
Please try again.

forgot your password?
Not already registered?

Create new account
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
Welcome! Sign in or register

Housing Benefits

Housing Benefit changes from 1st April 2013.

Proposed changes from April 2016

More on housing benefit changes

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income. The amount of housing benefit due to you is worked out by looking at:

  • How much money you have coming in.
  • Your personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay.
  • The amount of savings you have (more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you).

Use the Directgov benefits adviser tool to see what help you can get.

Who does the scheme apply to?

  • Anyone paying rent.
  • Tenants living in council property, privately rented accommodation (the allowance for these tenants is known as Local Housing Allowance and the rates are set separately), hostels and housing association accommodation.

How do I claim?

If you are not sure if you qualify, make a claim. You can get an application form from our headquarters or you can download the form now. Alternatively you can request a form by calling our contact centre on 01789 260991

Things to remember

  • Hand your application in as soon as you can.
  • Provide all the supporting evidence, we cannot pay your benefit until we have seen all the evidence we have asked for.
  • Use the same form to claim help towards Council Tax (Local Council Tax Reduction).
  • You won't get any benefit if you don't claim.

The evidence that you need to provide

  • National Insurance numbers for you and your partner.
  • Identity (two documents per person).
  • Capital, savings and investments.
  • Earnings.
  • Other income.
  • Benefits, allowances or pensions.
  • Private rent and tenancy.

Reporting Change in Crircumstances

Please remember that you are required to report changes in circumstances which may affect the level of benefit that you received.

You can print off a Benefit change in circumstance form or simply write in to the Council with details of the change.

Please note that the Council will now consider applying a Civil Penalty of £50 if you fail to report a change in circumstance which results in an overpayment of Housing Benefit.

Applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment

Discretionary Housing Payments are additional payments that can be made by the Local Authority to assist you with your housing costs that are not currently being met by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. The payments are from a limited budget which is set by Central Government

to apply for assistance online download DHP form now or alternatively you can print off a form by using the link DHP Paper Form

Frequently asked questions

You can find a list of our frequently asked questions which may help you to find the answers you are looking for.

Are you a landlord?

Helpful information is available for landlords looking to find out more about housing benefit in relation to tenant.

Visit our Landlords and Housing Benefit page


If you suspect anyone of fraud please call 01789 260486 or email fraud@stratford-dc.gov.uk.

For further information about how the council the council deals with fraud please see our fraud statement.

For further information about housing benefits please contact the Revenues Division on 01789 260991 or by email at benefits.sdc@stratford-dc.gov.uk or by fax on 01789 260969.